Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibbi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2013
Hi everyone!

I am in desperate need of a solution. I use DVDSP 4.

Currently I am creating 2 DVD's with menus for NTSC and PAL.

The footage that was given to me was edited into seperate clips (not as a whole movie) and was given to me as a mpeg. DVDSP did not like the file type and there was no audio playback, so I converted the files to .mov usingiSkysoft Video Converter. DVDSP still did not like the file type again so I exported each clip in FCP, settings set to DV Stream. Once exported the .dv file are obviously compatible with DVDSP and open fine.

So that is where I am up to, here is my issue:

The 1st DVD is way over limit size - it totals to 7.9GB
The total duration with the combined 4 clips total to 2:24:07

Is there any way for me to make sure this all fits onto 1 DVD and if so - HOW DO I DO IT PLEASE!!!!

The 2nd DVD is in a similar position but it is on over the limit by 5.1GB and the total duration for 3 clips are 1:32:67.

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!

Thank you

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone!

I am in desperate need of a solution. I use DVDSP 4.

Currently I am creating 2 DVD's with menus for NTSC and PAL.

The footage that was given to me was edited into seperate clips (not as a whole movie) and was given to me as a mpeg. DVDSP did not like the file type and there was no audio playback, so I converted the files to .mov usingiSkysoft Video Converter. DVDSP still did not like the file type again so I exported each clip in FCP, settings set to DV Stream. Once exported the .dv file are obviously compatible with DVDSP and open fine.

So that is where I am up to, here is my issue:

The 1st DVD is way over limit size - it totals to 7.9GB
The total duration with the combined 4 clips total to 2:24:07

Is there any way for me to make sure this all fits onto 1 DVD and if so - HOW DO I DO IT PLEASE!!!!

The 2nd DVD is in a similar position but it is on over the limit by 5.1GB and the total duration for 3 clips are 1:32:67.

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!

Thank you

If you have DVDSP 4, you most certainly have Compressor (it's included with Final Cut Studio). The best/easiest thing to do in your situation would be to drop the .dv files into a Compressor job and use one of DVD presets. Essentially, you need to get your content down to lower bit rates so they can fit on a single-layer disc.

For the first disc (the one with over 2 hours of video), one of the 150-min presets should work fine. Just keep in mind that this will be a pretty low bit rate ("standard" quality for DVD is generally 2 hours per 4.7GB disc).

The 120-min preset should work fine for the second disc (using the 90-min preset would push things a little too much).

For both scenarios, you'll also notice that there's a Dolby Digital 2.0 Audio setting. You'll need to use these to compress the audio down, as raw PCM audio uses a lot more space.

The end result is that you'll get .m2v files for the video and .ac3 files for the audio. These will both import right into DVDSP.

*Note: You can also make custom encoding presets in Compressor, where you can adjust bit rates and fine tune rendering settings (among other things), but if you want to keep things simple, just use a preset.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Captain Chunk on the nose.
I would like to add that in the past I would use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert them nasty weird formats to something DVDSP can ingest.

God luck!

I honestly havent opened DVDSP in almost two years now :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.