Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #126
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawbac View Post
No.
Apple needs to stop being cheap and pay the piper.
Greed is holding Apple back.

It's all about money that Apple doesn't want to pay.

----------

Storm? More like scattered showers.
I think it has to do more with record companies giving in to Apple's demands vs other company's demands. Apple's iTunes Store is huge and a nuisance to the music industry. The iPod, iTunes and piracy paved the way to the current status of the music industry. Record companies are the ones playing catch up now!
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:48 PM   #127
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0sian View Post
I think it has to do more with record companies giving in to Apple's demands vs other company's demands. Apple's iTunes Store is huge and a nuisance to the music industry. The iPod, iTunes and piracy paved the way to the current status of the music industry. Record companies are the ones playing catch up now!
Honest question: If iTunes is a nuisance to the music industry, where are most albums and tracks being sold? What would they be left with if iTunes disappeared tomorrow?
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:36 PM   #128
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
Honest question: If iTunes is a nuisance to the music industry, where are most albums and tracks being sold? What would they be left with if iTunes disappeared tomorrow?

Maybe nuisance was not the correct word to use. At this point iTunes is a major distribution center for music media but I'm sure record co would love to change that in their favor.
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 12:30 AM   #129
mrxak
macrumors 65816

I am continually amazed by the music industry and their unwillingness to embrace new opportunities. They dragged their heels on the iTunes Music Store too, and DRM-free songs. Apple actually understands what the customer wants. The music industry seems intent on destroying themselves. It's just so unfathomable that they wouldn't have learned to trust Apple by now.
Old May 18, 2013, 03:16 AM   #130
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....According to the report's sources, number four music publisher BMG is also holding out against Apple's proposed terms, and while there still appears to be significant momentum behind iRadio and a desire by many parties to get a deal done as quickly as possible, it is now looking as though Apple may not be able to launch the service at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

Article Link: Difficult Negotiations May Prevent 'iRadio' Launch at WWDC
Wonder what those 'terms' are, that are so objectionable, and who is holding out for a better deal, APPLE or the three hold-outs, SONY, WARNER and BMG? With APPLE's huge installed user base, it's in everyone's interest, for them to come to an agreement acceptable to all involved, sooner rather than later. APPLE's deal can't be that odious since UNIVERSAL has signed on.

It's unlikely iRadio will be rolled out without the support/cooperation of all, or at least most, major music publishers. Right now, in the absence of a deal, all parties are losing out, and that includes us the consumers.

Last edited by macs4nw; May 18, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 03:18 AM   #131
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0sian View Post
Maybe nuisance was not the correct word to use. At this point iTunes is a major distribution center for music media but I'm sure record co would love to change that in their favor.
let's not lie to ourselves. iTunes, iRadio, Spotify, all these services are basically going to cut out the middleman (record labels) in the future. Artists depend on labels for marketing and their existing connections with radio channels, mtv, etc. now with apple/google/spotify at the helm, it might be easier for an indie band to just get on one of those services and be discovered through heuristic means.
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 04:21 AM   #132
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Launch it at WWDC anyway and use the buzz as a negotiating tool.
Too much scrutiny.
Old May 18, 2013, 04:24 AM   #133
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
What would they be left with if iTunes disappeared tomorrow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google-dr-evil.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	412821  
Old May 18, 2013, 05:58 AM   #134
darkknight14
macrumors member

How will this play out for iTunes Match customers, would be good to see Apple tie this into their match service
Old May 18, 2013, 09:12 AM   #135
jaymzuk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
As a GPMAA user for a whole 2 days since All Access launched, it certainly has had everything I've searched for. I'd hate to think what could possibly be missing!
For many people, the logo is enough to make it an abomination
jaymzuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 12:41 PM   #136
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
I know I can Google alternatives. My point was that something he was calling a "nuisance" was in fact a significant part of their revenue stream. If one of their biggest distributors disappeared into thin air tomorrow (especially the one integrated with the most devices on the market) they would be scrambling. It would take some time for the gap to be closed by the alternatives and they'd be missing the "nuisance" pretty quickly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzuk View Post
What? I fail to see how a logo significantly detracts from the enjoyment of a musical catalog.
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 09:18 AM   #137
Tech198
macrumors 601

i find more interesting, that Apple is the only one 'under fire' when it comes to negotiations and difficulties, they must push their launch back.

No one else has this much problem.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:09 PM   #138
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklps View Post
Can't destroy Spotify if you don't

1) provide a native iOS app that allows downloads for offline listening
2) can listen to what you want when you want it
Well, both of these are possible with the Android app. Probably reasonable to assume that the same will happen should they publish an iOS app.
EricBrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #139
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Google and apples offering are going to be fundamentally different. Google is just offering spotify for the same price even. Googles offering doesn't change much for apple as it seems from all reports apple was never targeting that market.
Of course that isn't completely true. With All Access you can create playlists, dismiss any song you want to from a 'station,' add any song you want to to a 'station' and download songs via playlist to your mobile device. Would say that is a big difference.
EricBrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 10:26 PM   #140
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzuk View Post
I can't believe people wouldn't use a service based on name or logo.

If they did then that's more a reflection on them than the service.....
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 11:06 PM   #141
marksman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
Uh, Spotify already does this? Spotify is on-demand, *and* it has radio service. And a web player.

I know Apple likes to think they invent everything, but this has been done, and I use it on a daily basis.

I know everyone's excited for this to happen, but to me it just represents one more thing I love that Apple will lock down to their own service on the AppleTV. There's no reason not to have an Amazon Video app, a Pandora app or a Spotify app on the AppleTV other than Apple once again trying to lock out the competition.
Spotify offers two different services. One is a pay service.

They do not offer a single hybrid service of the two.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:37 AM   #142
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, I didn't miss that [blah blah blah] ...

Please tell me what other features you think Apple is going to offer that would make it different.
I have no knowledge of Apple's specific requirements.
And if I did, I certainly wouldn't tell you or anyone else. Nothing personal.

But do us all a favor and read this, from MacRumos' original post.
Let me and everyone else know what you don't understand:

Apple, on the other hand, is pioneering a hybrid web and radio service — one that resembles Pandora but melds it with some on-demand features, the sources said. The licensing agreement had to be created from scratch.

Quote:
You know (darn) well this is about money. Google was willing to pony up more $$$ up front and Apple does not work that way. Had you read the source article, you would have known that. But you seem to have missed that.
Duh. If there were no money involved, I'm sure an agreement would have been reached years ago.
But no, Apple doesn't need to buy their way in. Not any more.
Leave it to Google / Microsoft to spray money around and try to buy relevance.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:21 AM   #143
Keane16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Uh, Spotify already does this? Spotify is on-demand, *and* it has radio service. And a web player.
That's why this prolonged negotiation intrigues me, is there something additonal? Maybe, maybe not. I look forward to it either way.

Like you, I currently use Spotify. And it does what the article suggests as features for "iRadio".

Quote:
I know Apple likes to think they invent everything, but this has been done, and I use it on a daily basis.
Do they? Have you got any quotes? Links to where they profess this?

- I remember them acknowledging existing MP3 players upon iPod's launch. Apple said they wanted to release something better, not that they invented MP3 players.
- I remember them acknowledging other smartphones on iPhone's launch. They said they wanted to release something better, not that they invented smartphones.

From my view on this - it's pathetic fanboys claiming that Apple claim to 'invent' everything. But I've never heard Apple say they invented x, y or z... have you? Happy to be proven wrong.

Quote:
I know everyone's excited for this to happen, but to me it just represents one more thing I love that Apple will lock down to their own service on the AppleTV. There's no reason not to have an Amazon Video app, a Pandora app or a Spotify app on the AppleTV other than Apple once again trying to lock out the competition.
This is how Apple operate. It's nothing new. This is their business model. Apple likes to be in control. Apple likes to offer simple base functionality - which usually comprises of their own software and services.

I completely disagree with "no reason not to have Amazon Video app, a Pandora app or a Spotify app on the AppleTV". There is probably a slim/no chance Apple would offer all them apps as default options on Apple TV - it would go completely against their "simplicity" theme. This screams Apple TV app store - let people download whichever service they want. But don't have dozens of default installed options. The default options will be Apple's own.

Also remember Google Maps on the iPhone (the built in version). Remember when Steve Jobs demoed it for the first time and everyone loved it. Remember how the years passed and it barely changed? People complained it had gotten stale, missing features etc? That wasn't Apple's fault. It was Google's, they were withholding the features; vector maps, turn-by-turn. In the end Apple said "screw it", they didn't renew the Google contract. And now we have Apple's Maps and a new Google Maps app - which is way better than than the built in version used to be. Google was forced out to the App store where they had to compete with everyone else, and by the looks of it delivered a stellar mapping solution. I think it was a valuable lesson in what happens if you let someone else dictate to you on your platform.

If you want to control your iOS device completely, jailbreak it. But don't sit about waiting for Apple to change - it's not likely to happen.

Alternatively you could use a competing platform.
Keane16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 05:22 PM   #144
jaymzuk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
I can't believe people wouldn't use a service based on name or logo.

If they did then that's more a reflection on them than the service.....
Precisely.

Many people here are acting as if their choice is between iRadio or nothing, when quite clearly it's not. If you want all you can eat music, it's there for the taking. Just because it isn't from Apple doesn't make it any less magical
jaymzuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion