Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I have some audio issues with compatibility of a pro audio interface and Mountain Lion. Is it possible to boot the 2012 Mac Mini to Lion instead?

Any pointing on how to do this??

THANKS!

Lupyman

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Not possible currently...I spent a couple hours trying to do this yesterday at my job. We bought a new Mini with 10.8, but the software we run doesn't yet support 10.8 (or at least hasn't been tested). I guess we'll be testing very soon.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I've never known Apple hardware to run earlier OS versions than they were released with. Not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely to happen without some serious work-arounds (if at all).

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
You can't even install 10.8.2 from the App Store into this new Mini, so I guess Lion is out of the discussion.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Bummer...

Waiting for Beta driver for audio box... if no go then mini may have to wait (i.e. return to Apple :-(.....

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
Following the death of my old G5 beck in the summer, i decided to replace it with a 2011 mini (lion), and had similar problems with installing the yamaha MLAN software for my sound desk.

the only option was to put Snow Leopard on it, installing from the SL disk didnt work as the installer didn't recognise the mini, so i had to do a clean install on my old Mac Book Pro with MLAN installed, then Carbon Copy Clone that install on to the mini, ( I had to boot the mini off a usb drive to format the minis internal drive) tool a little while, but worked, The Mini is stable and now Running SL with MLAN!

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I downloaded 10.8.2 and installed it on a 2.3GHz i7 Mini.

If I go to the App Store and click on "Download" for Mountain Lion, it says it isn't compatible. There are a couple of threads in this sub forum on how to create a custom bootable partition to install the custom build of ML for the Mini.

So tell me, what did you do?

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
If I go to the App Store and click on "Download" for Mountain Lion, it says it isn't compatible. There are a couple of threads in this sub forum on how to create a custom bootable partition to install the custom build of ML for the Mini.

So tell me, what did you do?

I didn't do anything special. Yesterday Software Update let me know that 10.8.2 was available, so I installed it. I also upgraded my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
You can't even install 10.8.2 from the App Store into this new Mini, so I guess Lion is out of the discussion.

Right - it wasn't working using the App store. They must have fixed it. You needed to download the 10.8.2 update made specifically for the 2012 Mac Mini (and other recently released Mac's) from apple's support downloads site in order to get the installer to work.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I didn't do anything special. Yesterday Software Update let me know that 10.8.2 was available, so I installed it. I also upgraded my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

I see. I was referring to a fresh install. I also updated to 10.8.2.

Right - it wasn't working using the App store. They must have fixed it. You needed to download the 10.8.2 update made specifically for the 2012 Mac Mini (and other recently released Mac's) from apple's support downloads site in order to get the installer to work.

Thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.