Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
After installing Mavericks on my rMBP and IOS 7.3 on my iPhone, I received prompts on the laptop to install Thunderbolt Bridge. What is that?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
After installing Mavericks on my rMBP and IOS 7.3 on my iPhone, I received prompts on the laptop to install Thunderbolt Bridge. What is that?

It is TCP/IP via thunderbolt. Connect two machines via thunderbolt directly, configure them with two ip addresses..... voila......kickass fast network between them.

Really handy to copy big amounts of data from one machine to the other :)

FreePMS

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
It is TCP/IP via thunderbolt. Connect two machines via thunderbolt directly, configure them with two ip addresses..... voila......kickass fast network between them.

Really handy to copy big amounts of data from one machine to the other :)

I'm away from my lab so can't check this for myself at the moment...will the two Macs autoconfig with IP's that will work over this bridge, or is manual config (static IP's?) needed?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I'm away from my lab so can't check this for myself at the moment...will the two Macs autoconfig with IP's that will work over this bridge, or is manual config (static IP's?) needed?

Manual as there is no dhcp server on their network

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There is a good thread here with some speed tests using IP over TB. Super fast.

This will be great for Migration Assistant when you get a new machine.

FreePMS

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
There is a good thread here with some speed tests using IP over TB. Super fast.

This will be great for Migration Assistant when you get a new machine.

Faster even than TB Target?

----------

Manual as there is no dhcp server on their network

Yes, but I've seen Macs communicate before using self-assigned 169.x.x.x addresses; asking if that still works over TB Bridge.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I don't think it will faster than target mode, but target mode won't work if you have Filevault on, so this will be a big help for me in system migrations.

Target mode worked for me when transferring my Aperture library from my iMac to MBA which has Filevault 2 enabled. It just asks for the password on the MBA and away it goes. A great way for transferring very large files!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Target mode worked for me when transferring my Aperture library from my iMac to MBA which has Filevault 2 enabled. It just asks for the password on the MBA and away it goes. A great way for transferring very large files!

Did the iMac have Filevault on? My problem was I was migrating from a 2012 MBA with FV2 on to a new 2013 and it would not work in Target disk mode. Migration Assistant just would not recognize the machine with FV2 on. I ended up having to turn off FV2 on the 2012 for it to be recognized.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Did the iMac have Filevault on? My problem was I was migrating from a 2012 MBA with FV2 on to a new 2013 and it would not work in Target disk mode. Migration Assistant just would not recognize the machine with FV2 on. I ended up having to turn off FV2 on the 2012 for it to be recognized.

iMac doesn't have FV2 switched on, as it never leaves the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.