Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:30 AM   #101
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desorbed View Post
Hi all. Hoping there have been iPhone users similar to me, and who can give me some advice to get over something so stupid.

Some things to know:

- I bought a new iPhone 5, white, 64GB one week ago.
- Since then, I have been obsessing over keeping it mint condition. Every time I use it, I wipe it down, check for scratches etc.
- In the first week I have also noticed 3 very small chips/dents on the back of my iPhone - no bloody clue how they got there, especially since I am so careful. This has thoroughly pissed me off, it's doing my head in.
- I now have a good quality, "Belkin Grip Candy Sheer - Black and Green" case.

I have never been so obsessed with the maintenance of a device like I have with this phone, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's gotten to a point where I look at my iPhone, and don't want to use it, because I don't want to wreck it anymore (as said before, I've already somehow chipped the back 3 times). I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

I want to keep it as clean as possible because I like having my products in a very good condition, plus it would be nice if I could sell it in a years time when the next iPhone comes out.

I feel like a complete idiot, which I am, but I was wondering how I could get over this. Any tips/advice?

Thanks
This will solve all of your problems:
http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/t...cd-medications
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:17 PM   #102
hrv888
macrumors regular

So what is so special about apple care? It's $99 for two years and if you want to change a phone its $49? So its actually $150? and how much is an out of warranty replacement? $199? What if you didn't need to use applecare during the life of your phone right?
hrv888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:19 PM   #103
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hi all. Hoping there have been iPhone users similar to me, and who can give me some advice to get over something so stupid.

Some things to know:

- Since then, I have been obsessing over keeping it mint condition. Every time I use it, I wipe it down, check for scratches etc.
- In the first week I have also noticed 3 very small chips/dents on the back of my iPhone - no bloody clue how they got there, especially since I am so careful. This has thoroughly pissed me off, it's doing my head in.

I have never been so obsessed with the maintenance of a device like I have with this phone, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's gotten to a point where I look at my iPhone, and don't want to use it, because I don't want to wreck it anymore (as said before, I've already somehow chipped the back 3 times). I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

I want to keep it as clean as possible because I like having my products in a very good condition, plus it would be nice if I could sell it in a years time when the next iPhone comes out.

I feel like a complete idiot, which I am, but I was wondering how I could get over this. Any tips/advice?

Thanks

Dont forget to check for bending also. that is a possible danger
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:40 PM   #104
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

I wonder how many people who obsess heavily are fairly new to owning iPhones?

I was a little obsessed over my first gen back in 2007. I mean, I had to pay cash out of pocket for that baby. No subsidy. I wanted it to stay in good shape.

Soo... I slapped a screen protector on it, and messed around with case until I found one I could tolerate that didn't make my phone feel bulky. By the end of that first year? I was carrying it around with no case and just a screen protector.

With each generation, I've been more lax.

I didn't have a screen protector at all on my 4s. It never got scratched. I did, however, keep my 4 and my 4s in cases. I knew I'd crack some glass otherwise.

I don't have a screen protector on my 5. I have a Speck Candyshell on it, because I know the scratches would bug the hell outta me.

I think I may have to break down and slap a screen protector on this thing, too. The glass coating on this 5 is NOT as scratch resistant as the coatings on the 4 and the 4s.

That's a bit of a bummer. I love it minus a screen protector. Thing is, all my earrings are diamond studs and they bump against the screen when I make a call. Soo.... yeah. Gotta get a screen protector. Dammit.

Dunno yet whether I'd "find a problem" with it and do a swap to get a pristine phone before I cover it with a protector. This one has actually had a bit of a problem locking up between screens and I was waiting to see how that settles down since the iOS update.

Decisions, decisions.

At the end of the day, I'd rather a working phone than a mint condition phone. It is a smart phone, not a Faberge egg.

bunnicula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:41 PM   #105
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Some things to know:

Thanks
My advice... return the iPhone 5, buy an Android smartphone for everyday use, and buy a 64GB 5G iPod Touch.

If using your iPhone is causing you so much anxiety it appears that you are more enamored with owning an iPhone not using one.

Having said that, I can totally understand being overly concerned with owning a 64GB iPhone 5. That is quite an expensive phone.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:44 PM   #106
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
My advice... return the iPhone 5, buy an Android smartphone for everyday use, and buy a 64GB 5G iPod Touch.

If using your iPhone is causing you so much anxiety it appears that you are more enamored with owning an iPhone not using one.

Having said that, I can totally understand being overly concerned with owning a 64GB iPhone 5. That is quite an expensive phone.
Yeah... it's a bit more thought provoking when you own a 64GB. My 4s was a 64GB, as is my 5. My 4 was a 32GB.

I bought AppleCare+ for the first time with this iPhone 5. I dunno why, but I had a feeling I might need it.
bunnicula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:22 PM   #107
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
How can you all not realise it was a troll post?
because they are the ones who actually need to see a therapist.. learn to loosen up instead of jumping the gun.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:32 PM   #108
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.
My advice would be to sell it and get something that doesn't cause you so much stress.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #109
gooberq
macrumors member

I had this same issue, when the iphone 5 got a big scratch at the back i stopped worrying and stopped looking for small scratches it could not get any worse than this, unless until the glass breaks.
gooberq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #110
LearnIIBurn
macrumors member

Since I got my white iPhone 64GB I've been drinking an immense amount of vodka to drown the OCD, pain, and insanity it has brought into my life. My girlfriend decided to leave me and move to Hawaii with a tanner and soberer man with an iPhone 4S that is very scratched.

His life must be so simple, with all the scratches on his phone he must have spent so much money on mental therapy.

He now has my girlfriend, waves, a broze body, coconuts.

I have vodka, a bad hangover always, and a super clean iPhone 5. Life is good.
LearnIIBurn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:03 PM   #111
michaelmac3
macrumors member

It's a PHONE. I worry about humanity if this is a genuine concern.
michaelmac3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:23 PM   #112
RTbar
macrumors regular

Kind of on topic...

Today I went into the sprint store to get my phone activated and wanted to knock out my service rep. This big fat sloth snatched my phone from my hand and used his greasy cheetoh fingers to rip the phone out of its case. I'm pretty sure the tpu lost some of its flexibility due to being stretched out. Then he walks away from me, twirling my case around and banging it on everything he passes by. He then proceeds to slam my phone down on the counter and SLIDE IT ACROSS to another rep. Both of them picked the phone up for no good reason every 5 seconds, slide it around the dirty table and haphazardly slammp the phone down when they are done with it. This could be read as sarcastic and mocking of people obsessive over their phones, but its not meant to be- this actually happened and I was really furious. Luckily there were no scratched or dents due to the mauling, but the obsessive compulsive in me knows that deep down this phone has been sullied and I will never feel the same about it.
RTbar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:40 PM   #113
faiz23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbar View Post
kind of on topic...

Today i went into the sprint store to get my phone activated and wanted to knock out my service rep. This big fat sloth snatched my phone from my hand and used his greasy cheetoh fingers to rip the phone out of its case. I'm pretty sure the tpu lost some of its flexibility due to being stretched out. Then he walks away from me, twirling my case around and banging it on everything he passes by. He then proceeds to slam my phone down on the counter and slide it across to another rep. Both of them picked the phone up for no good reason every 5 seconds, slide it around the dirty table and haphazardly slammp the phone down when they are done with it. This could be read as sarcastic and mocking of people obsessive over their phones, but its not meant to be- this actually happened and i was really furious. Luckily there were no scratched or dents due to the mauling, but the obsessive compulsive in me knows that deep down this phone has been sullied and i will never feel the same about it.

GaM3 0v3r BRAH
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:31 AM   #114
Desorbed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz23 View Post
GaM3 0v3r BRAH
How come you didn't complain!? It's unfair they do that...
Desorbed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
ocd