Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
If I get a computer NOW at the store, Mountain Lion will be installed, along with iTunes 10.7. In the future, iTunes 11 will come pre-installed. Will I be able to then change it to iTunes 10.7?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Probably.
Apple has always worked to make iTunes compatible with as wide a range of Macs/OS's as possible. They could set a new minimal iTunes version for OS 10.9, but that hasn't been their habit in the past.

That said, the iTunes library structure and sometimes media organization does change with iTunes versions, so you should be prepared to move all your stuff out of your iTunes 11 media folder, erase that folder, install iTunes 10, and import all your files into the media folder created by iTunes 10.
Doing that can be quite a bit of work.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
why would you want to do this? at some point, your OS will update, devices will update, itunes will update... and you risk losing compatibility. itunes 11 is great, not perfect, but better in many ways than it's ever been.

adapt, and move forward... (just my humble thoughts :D )

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
why would you want to do this? at some point, your OS will update, devices will update, itunes will update... and you risk losing compatibility. itunes 11 is great, not perfect, but better in many ways than it's ever been.

adapt, and move forward... (just my humble thoughts :D )

I was willing to accept the ugly interface, but I cant even use the "search" feature in iTunes11 correctly, that thing is messed up.

To conclude, as an artist myself, I really value visuals, and altough I did loved the colored icons in the collum form of iTunes 11, the overall UI really disliked me, and that inclueds font text, grid view, cover flow and the extinct "yellow coloring" present in iTunes 10

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I was willing to accept the ugly interface, but I cant even use the "search" feature in iTunes11 correctly, that thing is messed up.

To conclude, as an artist myself, I really value visuals, and altough I did loved the colored icons in the collum form of iTunes 11, the overall UI really disliked me, and that inclueds font text, grid view, cover flow and the extinct "yellow coloring" present in iTunes 10

i hear you, really. but...isn't the MUSIC the point? i mean, you update, your library and playlists are there, and then you play music, while you look at OTHER things on your mac...

and the new mini-player (which is what i mostly see) is much better...
but whatever works!

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
i hear you, really. but...isn't the MUSIC the point? i mean, you update, your library and playlists are there, and then you play music, while you look at OTHER things on your mac...

and the new mini-player (which is what i mostly see) is much better...
but whatever works!

After the update, it messed up my library, the order of songs, and the search was malfunctioning, making hearing the music I want impossible too....

With all that combined, I decided to keep the version I identify with.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just played with iTunes 11 at the store and found it alright. On my decent sized music collection I found it to be a nightmare.

I followed this here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4556384?start=0&tstart=0

But this method worked for me specifically without a Time Machine backup to rely on those older framework files for:

1) In terminal: sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app (deletes iTunes 11)

"- download 10.7
- download pacifist (shareware but free trial version)
- doubleclick dmg
- drag the "install itunes" to desktop
- start pacifist and drag "install itunes" to it
- start installing

- press replace everytime youre asked if "duplicate, do nothing or erase""

Only hiccup was starting up iTunes, it said it was associated with a later version that created my library. I found the iTunes Library.itl file dated from last year in some random folder (can't remember if I had backed it up or not, but a lifesaver it was), copy and pasted it into the newest created one by date in the Music/iTunes folder or whatever it is (found them in Spotlight) then deleted my whole collection without deleting the files since the paths are all screwed up and now re-scanning it from my external.

Good luck! I was very worried I wouldn't be able to accomplish this but alas I did.

And I don't think I'll be updating soon on my machine.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Thank you for finding this, there is so much trouble with itunes 11.

How could it be so bad? Having new features is good, but to lose cover flow, a very good search, and find songs in the wrong album which it wont let me edit???

To top it all my iphone4 seems to no longer want to sync music over wifi :confused:

So, if this does not work out I may end up just re-installing OSX :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Haha good call!

whoops (there it is).

Alas, but really no alas, back to iTunes 10.7 for me.

Also realized, as an update to my downgrade process I read on Apple Support boards, deleting iTunes library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml in user/Music/iTunes folder works in case you are getting an error after installing 10.7 again through Pacifist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.