Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Yaffle
macrumors newbie

UPS with auto-shutdown

Now that I have my new fully loaded 27" iMac home and getting the TLC it rightly deserves, I'm in the market for a good UPS solution. What are the best recommended UPS that would keep the unit up and running for a couple of hours and allow me to program it to shut the iMac down before the battery drains. I had a look at some of the APC’s on the market but the PowerChute software is Windows based. Just wondering if there is a Mac version out there somewhere!
Yaffle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Google is your friend but apparently it's not needed as the features are built into OSX ... more info.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Look at the CyberPower UPS units. For example:
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pro...000PFCLCD.html

The APC brand ones are kind of junk in my experience.

Get a unit that talks to the computer via USB. The Energy Saver preference panel lets you control auto-shutdown and other options.

A UPS that can supply 2 hours of power for an iMac will be VERY expensive. Do you really need that much run time?
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Yaffle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromHere View Post

The APC brand ones are kind of junk in my experience.

Get a unit that talks to the computer via USB.

A UPS that can supply 2 hours of power for an iMac will be VERY expensive. Do you really need that much run time?
Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciated. Yeah 2 hrs sounds like overkill I doubt if I will require that much up-time. I basically want to protect it from power spikes during and after a power outage and have some up-time to either shut down manually if I'm around or automatic if not. I will also have another monitor to support and an external backup drive.

Thanks again...
Yaffle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular

Experience here likewise, CyberPower over APC.
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
flynz4
macrumors 68030

I have our computers set to power down the iMacs when the UPS reaches 50% capacity. I have the external drives plugged into battery backed up ports too, and they will continue running until the batteries are exhausted. That prevents any I/O operations on the disks when the UPS is exhausted.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac