Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westislander

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Hi board!

I have a 13" MacBook Air 2011. I bought this Mac originally loaded with Lion and cleaned installed Mountain Lion the day it was released back some time in the summer.

I've noticed the system occasionally freezes and the only way to get it back up and running is to hold down the power button and boot it back up. I'm currently on the latest version 10.8.2.

This has happened more or less 4 times since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. I never turn off my Mac and only do when my system freezes.

Is this a known bug within Mountain Lion or a potential hardware issue.

Many thanks!

crazytrain

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Sorry, can't help but my 2011 11" has started with the same issue in the last week or so, hence I'll be watching this thread to see what transpires...

FanBoyTroll

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
I have been having the same issue for about three weeks now. It happens an average of once every 2-3 days. I have tried many things like changing settings on the hard drive, like not allowing it to sleep when possible. VERY FRUSTRATING.

quax

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
MBA 2011 13" Occasional Freeze

Hi, same problem here running on Lion 10.7.5. Has been ongoing since day 1. Have been through the complete program: HW test... ok, clean re-install, PRAM, SMC reset. Normally works for a while, then suddenly when you least expect it, the MBA just freezes. Only mode to recover is holding the power button. Recovery has always been flawless luckily, but it remains to be a major annoyance.

I was under the impression that occurrence was "higher" when running MS Excel. No obvious trace in the console.

I have reported the problem to Apple with no response.

We also have a 2010 MBA 13" with 10.6 where the problem has never occurred.

I was hoping that the upgrade to 10.8.x would resolve the issue. Will contribute my observations to see if this ties back to HW or SW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.