Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
nicolastzi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
iMac for gaming

I am intersted in buyingiMac 27" of 2012 with 3.2GHz, 1TB, Geforce gt 675m with 1GB, 12gb ram. Is it good for gaming?
nicolastzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God
 
CWallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
It should be plenty fine, either because there is a native OS X version of the game or you can install Windows via BootCamp and run the game in that OS.
CWallace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
elithrar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolastzi View Post
I am intersted in buyingiMac 27" of 2012 with 3.2GHz, 1TB, Geforce gt 675m with 1GB, 12gb ram. Is it good for gaming?
Get the 680MX if you are playing games released in the last 12 months. There's a decent jump between it and the 675M.
elithrar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
JHBrown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
I love my 27in iMac with the GTX680, but I would never buy it solely for gaming. If only Apple would have put a GTX680 in the 21.5in iMac with its lower resolution. If you like eye candy in your games, you might be disappointed playing at the native resolution on the 27in. I ended up building a small mini itx gaming machine with a GTX 780 to fulfill my needs that the GTX680 in the iMac just could not handle with all the settings cranked on ultra. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a base model iMac along with a Windows rig just for gaming.
JHBrown is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #5
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrown View Post
I love my 27in iMac with the GTX680, but I would never buy it solely for gaming. If only Apple would have put a GTX680 in the 21.5in iMac with its lower resolution. If you like eye candy in your games, you might be disappointed playing at the native resolution on the 27in. I ended up building a small mini itx gaming machine with a GTX 780 to fulfill my needs that the GTX680 in the iMac just could not handle with all the settings cranked on ultra. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a base model iMac along with a Windows rig just for gaming.
Do you play the games in Bootcamp or OS X? OS X gaming performance is ways worse then Windows, so you might be able to get more out of your iMac if you install Bootcamp.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:54 AM   #6
JHBrown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
Do you play the games in Bootcamp or OS X? OS X gaming performance is ways worse then Windows, so you might be able to get more out of your iMac if you install Bootcamp.
Omen, I've ran my games on both Bootcamp and OSX. Of course the gaming experience on Windows was better. I am not saying you can't game on the GTX680, but if you are coming from a PC with a decent GPU, gaming at 1080p, you can be in for a shocker when you crank those settings and that mobile GTX680 in the iMac buckles under the pressure. The GTX680 can easily drive the 21.5in iMac and I really wish Apple would offer a high end GPU for it. Again, I love my iMac but I wish I would have just bought the base model and threw together a gaming PC for $1000 on the side that can outpace the iMac in gaming. By the way, I have a Viewsonic VP2770 IPS monitor, and this thing is just as good as my iMac 27in screen. It will set you back $710 though.
JHBrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:18 AM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
I own only one computer: my 2012 iMac and I couldn't be happier running it as my sole gaming machine. Love the performance on this beast.
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air iPhone 5 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule OS X Yosemite iOS 7 Logic Pro X
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:29 AM   #8
Serban
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Wait for the 780M experience and maybe they will put 4Gb vRam. And in meantime mavericks will be out soon with support for OpenGL 4.1
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac gaming! Willstone525 iMac 18 Jul 19, 2013 04:10 PM
XP on iMac for Gaming nymets98 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Mar 13, 2013 07:54 PM
Why gaming on iMac? Kev.LoveMac iMac 14 Dec 3, 2012 09:31 AM
iMac Gaming LegenHarry iMac 3 Nov 30, 2012 09:48 PM
iMac for gaming denisvj Mac and PC Games 13 Jul 8, 2012 09:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC