Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2012
South part of North
For the sake of this argument, I have to make one thing clear first...

October 23 2001 the iPod was introduced. It had a moving scroll wheel and a 5 gigabyte HDD and could only be used by Mac owners. This is the first generation iPod.

March 21 2002 there was an upgrade of the iPod. It was now possible to buy both the original 5 gig iPod and a 10 gig model, both with a moving scroll wheel and only for Mac users. This is often referred to as the 1.5 generation iPod.

To make things a bit more complicated in July 17 2002 the second generation iPod was introduced. These had a cover over the firewire port, 10 gig or 20 gig HDD, a non moving touch wheel. It had the HDD size etched on the backside, non serif font in the "iPod" name and could be bought either as a mac or pc version. The original 5 gig model was re-released with its physical scroll wheel and you could get either a mac or pc version.

At some point you could buy your iPod in a box with artists on them. I have found Allanis Morissette, Bob Marley and Jim Hendrix.

Finally my questions... ;)

• I was under the impression that only the "after-March-21-2002-iPods" was shipped in these "artist boxes"??? NOT the first generation! :confused: Could this be true?
  • Does anybody know of other artists that appeared on iPod boxes 2002?

Last edited:

Fralle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Wow, overwhelming response here :eek:

I'm I the only iPod nerd to think about these things? I never seem to get any real response to my questions...are they that hard to answer :eek:

Guess I'll have to ask about sweat in my iPod when running, that will get people going... :D

Fralle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Ok, let me put it this way then...

Does anyone own an iPod box with Alanis, Jimi or Bob that has a serial number earlier than week 12 2002?

The serial should be U2212XXXXXX where the first two digits are the factory, the third digit is the production year and the fourth and fifth digit together is production week.

And I have unconfirmed information that there were also boxes with Miles Davies and Billie Holiday :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.