Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Yes, I know there are many threads about running Skyrim on bootcamp ~ Obviously, it's an amazing game.

But I'm wondering if I should expect any problems with my rMBP? I don't intend to play at full resolution, 1440 or 1680 maybe with medium-high settings. Will the retina display cause any problems with bootcamp or skyrim? Can I expect decent fps with the specs ( 650m 2.3ghz i7 8gb ram).

ALSO. Drivers, from what I understand ~ Installing the latest ones is crucial for good performance. How do I go about finding them?

Thank you!

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You should be able to run it pretty nicely.

Just let Bootcamp create the Windows partition, download the drivers and create the USB stick to install Windows. Then let it reboot and do all the work. When Windows first runs, the drivers should start installing.

After that, reboot, make sure you install all the available Windows updates.

After you have all that done, on the Tray you should have a green NVidia icon. Double click it -> Go to Help -> Updates (not sure if this is it but you'll get there) -> Check for updates. It will tell you that version 314.22 is available and, when you click it, IE (ugh) will pop up with the website to download the drivers. Then, just install the NVidia drivers, install Skyrim and enjoy.

If you find any issues, just post here and you'll get some help for sure.

aritikka

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
I have been playing Skyrim through a few times with clean Windows 7, bootcamp with the MBP Mid 2010, 8 GB RAM. No performance or other problems whatsoever.
Ari

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I play Skyrim @ 2560x1440 perfectly happily on Parallels 8.
No need for Bootcamp.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I've been playing on bootcamp and it works great!

Is it really true that you can get similar performance in parallels? That would be much better than having to boot into windows every time, especially since windows has blurry 150% zoomed text on the rMBP... So I could game on parallels but stay in mac...

Has parallels really improved their gaming though?

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I've been playing on bootcamp and it works great!

Is it really true that you can get similar performance in parallels? That would be much better than having to boot into windows every time, especially since windows has blurry 150% zoomed text on the rMBP... So I could game on parallels but stay in mac...

Has parallels really improved their gaming though?
Well, I use it on my 3.4GHz iMac with HD6970M @ 2560x1440, and I really couldn't see any difference between running Skyrim under PD8 and Bootcamp.
I have also run F1 2012 and The Witcher 2 OK under PD8. LA Noire struggled a bit, and TW2 did a little, but on the whole I don't really have a need for Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.