Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Never had to try it but won't get up in arms regarding the morality of it when you consider the company you bought the product from thinks its morally okay to make its products in factories which keep getting in trouble for poor working conditions. Sure, they "investigate" but they don't really end up doing anything considering it has happened more than once. Why not make the products in the USA? Imagine that novel idea. Of course, that would cut into their notoriously huge profit margins and we can't have that...

So two wrongs make a right? The OP comes on here proposing to his fellow forum members, what is at the very least a shady proposition, and basically asking if we think he'll get away with it. What kind of responses are you expecting? I'm not judging you, but there's something not right with that scenario, that cannot be simply justified by other perceived wrongs. Also see below posters.

Warranty fraud seems to be perfectly acceptable these days. Good grief.

its actions like this that increase the cost of goods sold to everyone else.

There were apparently problems with the 128GB (Toshiba) versions of the supplied SSDs. I'd say to pcacd001, if this is what you had in your 2012 Air, your best hope is that these 128GB SSDs could be replaced even out of warranty, as defective components.

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Do you really think Apple doesn't have ways of figuring out when someone has tried to swap parts like this? I'm sure you can't be the first person to have thought of doing it. And if you're caught (which is the likely scenario) then at best you will void the AppleCare on the second computer -- and at worst you could find yourself blacklisted.

A far better solution, IMO, would be to just be honest, be friendly, and ask them (nicely) to make this right. It's reasonable to expect a hard drive to last longer than 13 months, and Apple does have a well-deserved reputation for excellence in customer service.

But someone who is caught in the act of trying to scam them should not expect to see much of that excellence. They have no reason to want to keep a customer who has tried to deceive them in order to get a warranty repair that they were not actually entitled to. So if you decide to do this and you get caught, don't expect to get treated as if they value your business. Because at that point, they won't be placing much value on the idea of keeping you as a customer. And you will likely be treated accordingly.

It's far better to deal with them honestly. Then they have every reason to want to keep you as a satisfied customer. If you try to deceive them, the only thing you will accomplish is, you will eliminate their only reason to want to make you happy.

(I work as a customer service supervisor: different industry, but what I've just said is pretty standard practice. No company really wants to keep a known scammer in their customer database - except perhaps in the blacklist file.)

Last edited:

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I also suggest being nice and try one more time, it helps to have at least one apple product under apple care, then just maybe under the spirit of apple care they will take care of you. If not, just figure you just add to the $100+ billion they have sitting in the bank.
At least hang onto the bad SSD and any receipts used to repair/replace it, at some point Apple just may put out an exchange/repair program.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Put the broken MBA around your neck and crawl into the Apple store. Bark at them until they agree to fix it for free.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I would definitely exploit the system and do the exchange into your brother's laptop. Applecare should be extended free to family members! :)

P.S.- I think this is why Apple slightly changes hardware connectors each year to prevent this sort of thing, and to prevent upgrades, e.g. switching out a 2010 mobo for a 2013.

Compile

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Apple switchs connectors so the user doesn't mess around with the system and to reduce the size of their machines.

Also it kind of forces people to buy a new machine instead of doing smaller upgrades.

To the OP, if you are honest with the Genius Bar, tell them you of a defect and tell them your story they will probably replace it for free. If you swap it you WILL void the warranty on the newer machine as they do check for stuff like this.

In 2007 I spilt beer all over a 2 week old MBP, took it to Apple told them my stupidity and they replaced it for free + gave me a free issue of AppleCare. Apple has amazing customer service (2nd to none IMHO), and they will help you out. If you try screwing them you will get dinged.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
who knows if it doesnt work oh well. and if it does, its just one tiny ssd made from some factory in china by a 12 year old. get over it. there are bigger issues at hand than me trying to save 300$+ on an already expensive computer.

This is the same logic that people use to justify stealing premium cable channels, downloading music illegally from YouTube, and getting cracked software / activation keys from Pirate Bay. "That company makes billions of dollars and exploits their workers - why can't I steal from them? They'll never miss it... Besides, everyone ELSE does it".

Immorality sanctified by tradition is still immorality.

Try the honest approach and see what actually happens... you may be pleasantly surprised.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
just saying.

My brother in law had his SSD fail 30 days after his warranty and the apple store said they would't replace it. The apple employee even said that it would be better to buy a third party SSD and install it himself.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Pity Apple doesn't think that much of its hardware to offer a decent warranty. Fortunately for us in the EU things are bit better for the consumer. 12 months doesn't seem right for a high value item.

dkl

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
I've had my 2011 MBA died on me 1 month after warranty expiry. Called up Apple Support and spoke to them nicely. They agreed that 1year+1month was too soon for an MBA to fail, and agreed to repair my MBA under warranty cover.

That's amazing customer service! Especially so when I'm from an area where we hardly expect any customer service at all!

My wife was previously using a Sony Windows laptop. She's now an Apple convert and uses a MBA. I've also recently replaced my Android phone to an iPhone5. I'm citing these examples to show that great customer service CAN sway future buying decisions in favor of the company.

So my point is - go call up Apple Support and talk to them nicely.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
See my post above. If you purchased with a major credit card in the US, chances are that you have an additional 12 months of warranty. That is certainly the case with American Express.

We used to get that with some cards in the UK, but fortunately the law covers us now. Pity Apple couldn't offer a decent free no hassle warranty for a minimum of 2 years.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
We used to get that with some cards in the UK, but fortunately the law covers us now. Pity Apple couldn't offer a decent free no hassle warranty for a minimum of 2 years.

It's already factored into the pricing. Based on today's conversion rate, a $1,100 entry level 13" Macbook Air should cost you £700 in the UK.

Yet, it's £950 for a base 13" Air.

Getting MBA + apple care in the states (or anywhere else that US prices apply) is still cheaper than getting an Air in the UK, which comes with 2 years limited warranty (vs apple care benefits).

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Of course you're forgetting about VAT which adds 20% to the prices in the UK (US prices do not include local taxes so the figure of $1100 is also variable).

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Both prices are official retail prices that are cited directly from Apple's website for the specific region.

'if-thens' need not apply here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.