Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Does iOS support trim commands? If not, should I expect my iPad to become sluggish after a while, as many Nexus 7 (2012) users reported?

Android 4.3 supposedly fixes sluggishness on the N7 and possibly many other devices by including trim support. I can't find any info on whether this was ever an issue in iOS.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I don't. Sorry.

But I want to know the answer to your question as well now!
The reason is that I plan to get the 5th generation iPad when it is released, so I've been really curious lately of stuff.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I have never had any sluggishness on any of my iOS devices, and that's after filling them to the brim with stuff. But then everything is sandboxed.

I too have never experienced noticeable sluggishness despite filling my iPad to the brim with data. But I'd still like to know how this is achieved without TRIM support (assuming there is none).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
How does OS X mark data as "unused" without TRIM? My understanding is TRIM is necessary for cleanup on SSD or eMMC storage. Is this incorrect?
I don't know. The first time I heard of TRIM was when SSDs starting becoming popular. Smartphones have been using eMMC for years before that (early 2000's), and I never heard anyone talking about their support for TRIM. :confused:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
You can go into Settings, and then Safari. Click on Safari, and you'll be given a few options to clear your history, cookies, etc. I was on a commercial pilot website, and they say their iPads clear themselves (somehow), and no doubt the maps, apps, manuals, and other info they use is enormous.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
You can go into Settings, and then Safari. Click on Safari, and you'll be given a few options to clear your history, cookies, etc. I was on a commercial pilot website, and they say their iPads clear themselves (somehow), and no doubt the maps, apps, manuals, and other info they use is enormous.

I don't understand why that would speed up an iPad unless a TRIM command is also issued to the now unused data.

Check out the wiki article i posted.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't understand why that would speed up an iPad unless a TRIM command is also issued to the now unused data.

Check out the wiki article i posted.

Just read it, and saw this:

Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of TRIM, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of TRIM; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support TRIM, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Just read it, and saw this:

Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of TRIM, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of TRIM; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support TRIM, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]

Clearing cache data such as browsing history doesn't "delete all data on the drive." So, if doing such things does help to increase tablet performance, I'd guess the eMMC has internal garbage collection.

All iPads use Hynix brand eMMC, right? Same brand is used in many other tablets, including both the new and old Nexus 7. But, N7s require TRIM commands...

I suppose it is possible that only certain Hynix modules feature garbage collection.

*edit*

http://skhms.com/technology/flash/

There is mention of garbage collection at the firmware level. No mention if it is implemented in all or some modules. Maybe it works by default unless the OS overrides trim/garbage collection?

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Who cares if it supports TRIM or not. The important thing is that the iPad doesn't get sluggish over time for whatever reason.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Who cares if it supports TRIM or not. The important thing is that the iPad doesn't get sluggish over time for whatever reason.

Exactly, it's like needing DEFRAG for Windows. Linux and OS X are different and don't require manual drive optimization.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012

I am curious, that's all.

iPads might not be immune to sluggishness but merely more resistant. I.e., what takes 6 months on a nexus 7 may take 3 years on an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.