Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:35 PM   #126
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoJunior View Post
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.
Retina quality in fullscreen view in RMBPs? Cropping? Headroom for image processing?
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:20 PM   #127
coolparty
macrumors newbie

here we go again...

People STILL don't seem to grasp that more megapixels DON'T equal better quality images. We want better lenses, not more digits.
coolparty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:52 PM   #128
iSunrise
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
theres a Nokia Phone with 41 megapixel out already
Yep, Apple is doomed.

On a more serious note:
The Nokia Pureview camera is one thing that really sets it apart from other phones and Nokia is going to build it into future models soon. Itīs not because of the megapixels, though, itīs just a well designed camera-system altogether.
iSunrise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:10 PM   #129
irDigital0l

Every year people say increasing megapixels makes pictures worst, every year Apple has proved that better pictures can be taken.

iPhone 3GS (3MP) -> iPhone 4 (5MP + new optics) -> iPhone 4S (8MP + new optics)
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:37 PM   #130
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolparty View Post
People STILL don't seem to grasp that more megapixels DON'T equal better quality images. We want better lenses, not more digits.
Not true. If you increase megapixels while keeping the sensor density, then extra pixels are welcome. Also, if you increase sensor's pixel density but also proportionally enhance capturing technology, you're fine too.

Actually I prefer a lot of pixels like in the Nokia 808 Pureview. If you're on a sunny day, you're on par with DSLR-quality. On the other hand, you're not too bad in the dark while you're getting good crop margins for digitally zooming your pictures.

As iPhones traditionally have bad flash bulbs, it would be better having something like a 1/1.8" sensor with 12MP and a f/2 lens.
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:45 PM   #131
xcodeaddict
Banned

Keyword: May

I "may" be a millionaire, but I am not
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:31 AM   #132
LuxoJunior
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Retina quality in fullscreen view in RMBPs? Cropping? Headroom for image processing?
Retina? 8MP is more than enough. Cropping? Frame your shot better. Image processing? You'd be better off with a superior sensor.
LuxoJunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:52 AM   #133
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Retina? 8MP is more than enough. Cropping? Frame your shot better. Image processing? You'd be better off with a superior sensor.
I crop my 5 mega pixel iPod touch images all the time, and they look fine. At least on the web. :-)

I'm sure Apple won't just up the mega pixels without improving the chip or picture quality.

Personally, I'm psyched for the iPhone 5s. It'll be my go to camera for traveling and street photography.
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:02 PM   #134
predation
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Purple Haze?
thats what is keeping me from picking up a 5 right now.
i'm really hoping the 5S has this problem fixed.
predation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:14 PM   #135
davidhunternyc
macrumors member

Wow, a new camera on iPhones! I can't even imagine why Apple stock is down???
davidhunternyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:28 PM   #136
mrvicadai
macrumors newbie

hell yeah

Definitely going to replace the old 4S with this beast.
mrvicadai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:40 AM   #137
Ramius
macrumors 6502

Night photography is clearly the most important thing to improve.

But Iīm really amazed at the iPhone 5 abilities to take pictures at night. I took this at winter in Norway http://instagram.com/p/VVJvwijIqi/ - even though the street is lit, it even catches the dark blue hue of the sky above, which is very difficult to achieve. Even with DSLRīs.
Ramius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #138
xdhd350
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
And what Oscar winning documentary was finished on an iPhone?
"Searching for Sugarman" Macrumors had an article about the movie being finished with the iPhone using the 8mm app when the director ran out of money for 16mm film.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:56 PM   #139
XtraSmiley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolparty View Post
Well maybe the same reason some people STILL don't seem to grasp that there are people who want both?
XtraSmiley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #140
weing
macrumors regular

If they go to 12 MP it will be 10 more megapixels than you need for a good picture instead of only 8! The stupidity of the the stupid leaves me in a stupor.
weing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:53 PM   #141
truthiness
macrumors regular

12MP is still pretty paltry in today's camera market segment. If they were playing the MP game, they'd put out a camera with 18MP or something. I still see this as a conservative sensor upgrade and hopefully will continue their past strategy of providing better pixels and fewer of them compared to the competition.

With that being said, I really hope that they focus on a kick butt camera. It is so good already, but I almost feel like they didn't know how popular the camera was going to be and not until the 4S did they start getting serious with it.

Now that it is the most popular camera out there, they will need to keep on making it as good as can be. Again, 12MP isn't some obnoxious number and I'm surprised, quite frankly, that it's not going to be more than that.
truthiness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:49 PM   #142
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Other than texting and playing letterpress, I use the camera more than any other function on my phone

Lets not get into a race for the most megapixels, as its meaningless to the actual quality of the finished image.

I'm still not convinced on the 5 form factor, but having tried the various other brands last weekend I still prefer it over them. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination so this surprised me

I may very well finally upgrade my 3GS assuming apple dont completely cock up the 5S.
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 07:09 AM   #143
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.
This. Exactly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthiness View Post
12MP is still pretty paltry in today's camera market segment. If they were playing the MP game, they'd put out a camera with 18MP or something. I still see this as a conservative sensor upgrade and hopefully will continue their past strategy of providing better pixels and fewer of them compared to the competition.

With that being said, I really hope that they focus on a kick butt camera. It is so good already, but I almost feel like they didn't know how popular the camera was going to be and not until the 4S did they start getting serious with it.

Now that it is the most popular camera out there, they will need to keep on making it as good as can be. Again, 12MP isn't some obnoxious number and I'm surprised, quite frankly, that it's not going to be more than that.
You expect all this with a sensor implemented in a 4mm focal length. I don't think you know what you are asking.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #144
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

What really matters for image quality is sensor size and sensitivity. Increased MP may help digital zoom, but it's not nearly as important for overall image quality, beyond the 12MP range, even on DSLRs. Even Canon's Flagship DSLR (1D-X) is only 18MP.

BTW the Lumina 1020 also has a much bigger sensor than the iPhone 5.
HurtinMinorKey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #145
Ramio
macrumors 6502a

I think 12mp is good as long as the focal apature is between 1.9 and 7 kilowatts. If the ph is at least 7, then 8mp would be fine. Now to make low light pictures work, apple needs to implement halogen focal points in the sensor so that the reflection from the light causes photosynthesis. All of this possible as long as the upload speed is at least 2.7 terra bytes. I'm waiting Apple. Don't know what the hell I just said...wanted to sound smart for a minute. Back to sleep :-)
Ramio is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #146
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
looking forward to the better camera in the next iPhone
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #147
Pompiliu
Banned

Just give me a 5/8 mpx camera with faster lens (2.0 or 1.8) and some decent manual controls...
Couldn't care less about 12mpx if i can't adjust the exposure the way i want.
Pompiliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:36 AM   #148
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

The problem I have with the increase in MP with mobile cameras is that there's no native way to reduce the file size (picture quality). I don't know if iOS 7 has that capability but there's no such feature for iOS 6.x.x, native.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #149
Banned

Nope, I don't see a 12 MP camera on my iPhone 5S.
158274 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion