Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid accounts can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid accounts can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5

When I got my original iPhone G1 I setup the iPhone as Pick-Your-Plan prepaid with unlimited data. When the iPhone 3GS and then 4 came out, I cut down my SIM and continued using the same plan with the iPhone 4.

I called and spoke with AT&T Customer service. The AT&T rep said she checked the iPhone 5 white paper and a Pick-Your-Plan iPhone prepaid account can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5. She said I am very lucky because not many people still have a Prepaid Pick-Your-Plan iPhone.

She said I can buy the iPhone 5 full price and they will provision my prepaid account to the iPhone 5 SIM and provision LTE unlimited data to grandfather my unlimited data plan.

I was shocked and did not believe it and had her verify it with a manager. So if there is anyone else with a Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid unlimited data iPhone they will allow you to continue using the same account for the iPhone 5.
Coleman2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Bigdicnic666
macrumors newbie

That is awesome! I have the original PYP with Grandfathered unlimited data for iPhone. I too cut down my sim card. I'm currently using an iPhone 4s. So, can I just buy an iPhone 5 and put my cut down sim card in it or do I really have to go get a new sim card for it to work?
Bigdicnic666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
T4R06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdicnic666 View Post
That is awesome! I have the original PYP with Grandfathered unlimited data for iPhone. I too cut down my sim card. I'm currently using an iPhone 4s. So, can I just buy an iPhone 5 and put my cut down sim card in it or do I really have to go get a new sim card for it to work?
if you have an i5 you can just go to VZW and ask for a sim card. they can activate it and retain your current plan as grandfathered
T4R06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R06 View Post
if you have an i5 you can just go to VZW and ask for a sim card. they can activate it and retain your current plan as grandfathered
They're speaking about AT&T not Verizon
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Demonface
macrumors 6502a

This is pretty cool , Too bad I don't have AT&T anymore.
Demonface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
When I got my original iPhone G1 I setup the iPhone as Pick-Your-Plan prepaid with unlimited data. When the iPhone 3GS and then 4 came out, I cut down my SIM and continued using the same plan with the iPhone 4.

I called and spoke with AT&T Customer service. The AT&T rep said she checked the iPhone 5 white paper and a Pick-Your-Plan iPhone prepaid account can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5. She said I am very lucky because not many people still have a Prepaid Pick-Your-Plan iPhone.

She said I can buy the iPhone 5 full price and they will provision my prepaid account to the iPhone 5 SIM and provision LTE unlimited data to grandfather my unlimited data plan.

I was shocked and did not believe it and had her verify it with a manager. So if there is anyone else with a Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid unlimited data iPhone they will allow you to continue using the same account for the iPhone 5.
It turns out this was all BS. I have the iPhone 5. I can use my prepaid account with the iPhone 5 but I cannot access LTE. Only 3G.

The networks the PYP accounts use are only 3G. There are no LTE prepaid phones. I was told later in 2013 they will roll out prepaid phones with LTE data and that's when the i5 can access LTE prepaid. Until then, all prepaid phones are 3G.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:15 PM   #7
oldertwin
macrumors newbie

Buy Plan

Hi,

Is anyone here that has the Go Phone Pick your Plan with unlimited data willing to sell their plan to me? I am really interested and ready to paypal money to who ever will sell me their account with the unlimited data on it.
oldertwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone