Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Mines got a few nicks around the edges, and I've had it in a case since launch. But honestly, I do not care one bit. It still looks better then it would without a case

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
It IS OCD to find fault in and then return 5 iPhones. Especially because in most cases, anyone with ANY common sense would open the freakin box before you accept a functional, flawless phone....after receiving the first, second or even third 'bad' phone. In any case that I've bought directly from Apple they absolutely insist on me opening the box in store...make sure the computer boots, phone works or iPad connects.

Well I'm not dumb enough to line up at the store on launch day so I ordered online and got mine delivered on launch. It had 2 chips and a nice size scratch on it. I went to the apple store that Sunday and they said I would have to do a retail exchange and they didn't have any new iPhones so to try back. Now obviously since you are not ocd you have never had to get a genius appointment because all of apple's products are perfect so let me tell you it took a lot longer than 3 minutes. So I called apple care and they sent me a new iPhone that was more scratched than the first. So I sent that one back and headed back to the store. This time they did a warranty exchange and got me a good iPhone that had no scratches. Unfortunately the screen starting dying after a month, a problem Ive never had on any of my previous 4 iPhones. I had to do another warranty exchange and they brought out a scratched up phone with several chips around the edge. I told the genius that wouldn't work and he went back and found me a flawless one. So that was a bit more than 3 minutes!

You are entitled to your own opinion of what should be acceptable when buying a product just as I am. It's just a bit ignorant to label someone as OCD because they want a new product that cost 400 plus a 2 year contract to look like its new. If I was buying off Craigslist then that would be a different story. I still have yet to figure out why it makes some people on this site so angry that people want their new phones to look new out of the box. Why does that bother you so much? And again I'm not saying any of this to knock the iPhone. If I didn't think the 5 was worth it i would have just returned it. The 5 is a great phone it just has some QC issues.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Sounds like the black ones still scuff, scratch up easily . The black finish just doesn't hold up. Glad I got white.

I haven't had any problems with mine scratching after I got it. The problem was that they came scratched up out of the box. I use a case a lot of the time to keep the resale value up but even when I use it without a case I haven't gotten any chips or scratches. It seems like if you are patient enough to find a black one that is not scratched or chipped out of the box you should be good if you take pretty good care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.