Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I wonder if anybody knows the difference between these to earbuds? The first set is a first generation earbud with black covers. The part number is 603-2482. The second set is also a first generation earbud but with gray covers. Part number 603-0679.

I have found both black and gray earbuds in both first and second generation iPod boxes? That is why I have to ask if anybody knows for real? I would guess a lower part number would suggest an earlier model??

bud5.jpg
bud6.jpg

bud7.jpg
bud8.jpg

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Second and third generation:

800px-IPod_Earbuds.JPG

Both are second generation. But the grey foam is apparently left over from the first generation. But they only gave you one set then.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=575263#post575263

The earbuds that came with G1 iPods have grey and white plastic on the earbuds and the connector. The foam pieces are grey and there is only one set, and the metallic surface has holes (each about 1mm around) rather than mesh.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Thanks again Jessica, your'e a true gem :)

Those illusive 1st generations :rolleyes: ...your answer made me look into this from a different angle. I actually found a picture on a true first generation pair of earbuds, without the foam. The picture is from Apples "Reviewers Guide" from October 2001. The mesh is different and also the part where the cable goes into the ear piece!

revguide1.jpg

earbud_1g.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.