Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I am trying to get OwnCloud up and running on my Home network and for the most part it is.

The only problem is, my Mac Mini has a 256GB SSD in it, by default OwnCloud will use the drive it is installed on as it's storage drive.

I have a few 4TB external drives that I want to move the data folder to, the hangup so far is figuring out the pathname to one of those drives.

In OwnCloud you can open the config.php file and type in a different folder location to be used as the data folder, I just can't figure out how or what the exact pathname is to my external Thunderbolt drive.

Does anyone have any experience with OwnCloud? specifically with moving the data folder to an external drive?

rlkarren

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
All drives are mounted in /Volumes. i.e. /Volumes/drivename.

If your external drive is called External, it will be mounted in /Volumes/External which is the pathname.

The easiest way to determine a location path is to simply drag the destination folder into a terminal window, or highlight the destination and press command+i on the keyboard.

note: You'll also need to make sure the permissions on the new data location are the same as the original OwnCloud data location. If OwnCloud doesn't have the correct permissions, it will fail.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
All drives are mounted in /Volumes. i.e. /Volumes/drivename.

If your external drive is called External, it will be mounted in /Volumes/External which is the pathname.

The easiest way to determine a location path is to simply drag the destination folder into a terminal window, or highlight the destination and press command+i on the keyboard.

note: You'll also need to make sure the permissions on the new data location are the same as the original OwnCloud data location. If OwnCloud doesn't have the correct permissions, it will fail.

Bear in mind that Mac OS will ignore ownership permissions on external volumes by default which could cause you an issue. You can correct this though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.