Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

My question is this. Is Time Machine the best way to access/move files and itunes library from my iMac to a new machine? I guess my other option would be to move everything to an external drive and then move to new machine?

I plan on purchasing a rMBP or a new Air after Mavericks (and the rMBP) is released. My early 2009 iMac is long in the tooth.

In order to prepare we deleting files, photos, etc. that are no longer needed. I am really looking forward to a 'fresh start' and a clean install of everything.

I am *not* worried about exisiting settings - in fact, settings will probably be different on the new machine (new machine will only have one user/apple ID instead of 2).

With the exception of the iDrive backup application (for off-site backup), I believe everything else will be available to re-download from App store.

Hopefully after getting the new machine, I can sell my iMac.

Edit: Well, migration assistant may be the way to go, although over wifi, it may take a while: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1581528/

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As you've seen, you can use Migration Assistant. In fact, when you first switch on your new Mac, it will prompt you to restore data from another source.

You can use a TM backup, or the old Mac directly.

Migration Assistant allows you to specify what components you want to restore.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks

benwiggy - Thanks for the reply. Looks like I just need to finish housekeeping and use migration assistant.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Another suggestion :

The safest and quietest way, IMHO : clone your iMac to an external hard drive.

You say : "I am really looking forward to a 'fresh start' and a clean install of everything."

So, get your brand new rMBP running 10.9, install all that will from the App Store, then select the data you want to transfer from the clone to the new Mac.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Bruno09 - Thanks for the suggestion. One question - what are the upsides to this over migration assistant? Sorry if this is a very basic question, I just don't know what the pro's/con's of each are.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Unfortunately, I do have very poor English and won't be able to explain what are the upsides to this over MA.

When you have a clone of your old Mac you can transfer the data you want, when you want, even if your old Mac is already sold and has gone.

Also you do not need any software or assistant : just drag and drop from the clone to the new Mac.

Say I just prefer this way over MA when I want to do a "clean" install.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ My question is this. Is Time Machine the best way to access/move files and itunes library from my iMac to a new machine? I guess my other option would be to move everything to an external drive and then move to new machine? ]]

Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a clone of either your entire drive, or you can use CCC to "dupe" selected folders (such as your home folder).

The end result will be that your files will be on the external drive, in POFF (plain old finder format). They can then be copied, moved or migrated wherever you wish. You can pick and choose in the finder what you wish to keep, and what you wish to delete.

I do NOT recommend Time Machine. You won't be able to access your files via the finder if you use it. Use CCC or SD, and you CAN.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Bruno09 and Fishrrman - thanks. This is the info I was looking for!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.