Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
After going through several pc laptops I decided to make the switch to mac. While I'm really not in love with the operating system as of now, hopefully I'll grow to love it. The point is, Mac's are expensive and I want to protect my investment.

So the question is, what accessories do I need? They seem to sell all sorts of things.

I ordered the Rearth keyboard cover because while I know you shouldn't eat in front of a computer, but when it's 2 am and you have a paper due the next day, there isn't always time to stop for a snack. Is this a good one?

Also, what will offer more protection, a case or a sleeve? can a put a case in the sleeve or is that just over kill. My laptop will coming with me to all my classes so it will probably get knocked around a bit. I try to be carefull but stuff happens. What combination will get me the best protection?

I also see things to stick on like screen protectors and palmrest guards or whatever. Are these things really necessary? I mean, I know they're not necessary but how much would they really help protect the laptop?

Also, what other accessories would it be could to have?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Hrmm, I don't use a hard-case (shell), sleeve, keyboard cover, palm guard, or screen protector, but other accessory suggestions could be:
  • AppleCare (extended warranty)
  • PlugBug
  • Docking station or stand + USB hub if you have an external monitor setup
  • Portable hard drive for extra file storage or TimeMachine (or even a TimeCapsule for TimeMachine)
  • Depending on your Mac, perhaps an external Blu-ray/DVD drive

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
After going through several pc laptops I decided to make the switch to mac. While I'm really not in love with the operating system as of now, hopefully I'll grow to love it. The point is, Mac's are expensive and I want to protect my investment.

So the question is, what accessories do I need? They seem to sell all sorts of things.

I ordered the Rearth keyboard cover because while I know you shouldn't eat in front of a computer, but when it's 2 am and you have a paper due the next day, there isn't always time to stop for a snack. Is this a good one?

Also, what will offer more protection, a case or a sleeve? can a put a case in the sleeve or is that just over kill. My laptop will coming with me to all my classes so it will probably get knocked around a bit. I try to be carefull but stuff happens. What combination will get me the best protection?

I also see things to stick on like screen protectors and palmrest guards or whatever. Are these things really necessary? I mean, I know they're not necessary but how much would they really help protect the laptop?

Also, what other accessories would it be could to have?

1. HARD CASE - Specks, Incipio, etc. You're computer is most likely to get damaged when you're using it not when its in not being used (such as the times in a sleeves). If will also off *some* protection from minor drops (like a few inches) by soaking up some of the impact.

2. SILICONE KEYBOARD COVER - They're ~3$ with shipping on eBay. Don't spend 20$ at a store.

3. APPLE CARE - If you will own it more than a year I'd suggest AppleCare. I've had nothing but good experiences. You can always get a student discount as well, and you can also wait until near the end of the first year to purchase if it you're in the air about it.

4. Write your S/N down, take pictures of the computer, the box, etc and put them in a safe place separate from the computer incase you do ever need to file a homeowners/renters insurance claim due to theft.

5. BACKUP - some form of external backup if you value your data, pictures, etc. If you have the money I'd recommend a time machine, but it can also be done using a cheap USB storage drive.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered a keyboard cover.

I have a portable hard drive already.

I'm trying to decide between applecare and squaretrade. Applecare is nice so I an just bring it in, but stuff happens in college and I just have nightmares of it getting knocked off a desk or something (it happened to my old laptop) so I think I might go with squaretrade for the accidental coverage.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'm trying to decide between applecare and squaretrade. Applecare is nice so I an just bring it in, but stuff happens in college and I just have nightmares of it getting knocked off a desk or something (it happened to my old laptop) so I think I might go with squaretrade for the accidental coverage.

Maybe check on your parents homeowners insurance to see if computers are covered in case of accidental damage and check the deductible. If so, get the AppleCare.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
My laptop will not/cannot be covered under homeowners insurance. So I think I'm better off with squaretrade?

I like the idea of being able to bring it into apple but I don't think that is worth more than accidental coverage (at least not as a college student).

I'm covered for a year, and aren't most hardware issues supposed to happen either within the first year or after the third?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Consider the Thunderbolt display, it has onboard speakers to unclutter desk space and a USB hub for the perfect Apple docking station. The extra real estate will make those papers go down easier. Also, the Time Capsule handles backups automatically so it's one less thing on your long To Do list. A cheaper alternative would be to leave a dedicated USB drive plugged into your monitor and have TM back up there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.