Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Anyone had an issue with their top right hand side button either not turning the screen off or on, or a delayed action? Mine has been doing this. It is quite annoying.

bawuva

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I actually was just going to post the same thing. I just started experiencing this the last 2 days. Throughout the day I would have to push the on/off button several times for it to go to sleep. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Same thing has been happening to me. I posted about it a few days ago but no one really supported me. Any thoughts about what you all want to do? Exchange? Will Apple do that for this?

bawuva

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I saw some other threads where people had the same problem. It looks like if you press on the left side of the button it works fine. If you press on the middle or more to the right that is where it has issues.

Sounds like others have gone to the Apple store and they replaced it with a new one.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Mine stopped working like yours. I would have to push it a few times to turn it off/on, sometimes it would recognize all of the pushes and the screen of flash on and off. Called apple and they shipped me a refurb replacement

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
same thing happens to me; looks like i'll need to bring it to a store for a replacement.

cheeeeesus

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Same thing here. Sometimes it works okay tho, so I hesitated to go to the Apple Shop, since it's quite unpredictable whether I can show them the problem.

joeyboyyy91

Suspended
Aug 20, 2010
same happened to mine.

Got it exchanged a couple of days ago at the apple store. It becomes annoying, and after a while even the pressing the left side stopped working for me.

might as well get it exchanged.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Damn, can't help but notice the amount of problems people are having with the 5.

I know, I know, every iPhone generation has issues.

But I feel like people on here have complained about EVERY component on the iPhone 5, collectively.

I mean how hard is it to just make a physical button that works.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Going in a few hours. Set up the appt in store so they saw the defect and admitted it wasn't normal. I'll let you all know how it goes.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Walked in. Showed them the problem. Walked out 15 minutes with a new perfect phone. Easy as that.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
How long of a delay are we talking about? Has it done it right of the box?

SarZ

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
I had the same problem with my iPhone 5 and it was replaced by Apple.
Here is the thread where I mention the problem https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484788/

Out of curiosity do any of you use a magnetic case on your iPhone?
My problem started a few days after I started to use a magnetic case

Erock2

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
I went into a Apple store on tuesday and the Apple jerk basically blamed me :mad: saying that I was looking to much into it and that it looks perfectly normal to him, so he did a "DFU Wipe" and said it should be better... a couple days later and it's worse!:mad: Made an appointment to go back today... hopefully it gets fixed this time.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Mine wouldn't work when clicking in the right side. I brought it to an apple store and the employee said its a hardware defect and switched it out for me in 5 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.