Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Now I get wifi connection even when I go down to the floor below me (4th floor)

I changed the security options from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES]

and the channel from Auto to channel 9.

Hope this helps others!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Changing the channel on your router from Auto to a fixed channel is what did it. Leaving it on Auto is a big mistake, especially if you have multiple wifi networks in your area.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Changing the channel on your router from Auto to a fixed channel is what did it. Leaving it on Auto is a big mistake, especially if you have multiple wifi networks in your area.

I live on 42nd street, you can imagine how many wifi are in my area lol.

But the thing is my wifi worked perfectly fine before I got my iPhone 5, with my iPhone 4. After the five it became so weak I wouldn't get service in my kitchen! driving me nuts, I event went over my data this month because my wifi has been so horrible.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the info - will give this a try next time I'm at work (lots of WiFi routers there). At home I don't have a problem (house - no nearby WiFi signals).

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
But the thing is my wifi worked perfectly fine before

A new neighbor moved in, or the old guy got a new router and... rarely are things this crystal clear but this one is perfectly logical.

In an urban area you should be expected to tweak your WIFI setting once in a while because unfortunately what your neighbors do have consequences.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now I get wifi connection even when I go down to the floor below me (4th floor)

I changed the security options from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES]

and the channel from Auto to channel 9.

Hope this helps others!
Unfortunately, I can't change this. I mean I can, but then none of the Macs in my home would be able to use the WiFi. I don't own any Intel Macs (all PowerBook G4s and an iBook G3). I do have a specific channel set though.

That said, my iPhone 5 is running on WPA with TKIP just fine. Our work network is the same as well and it also does just fine there too (despite the fact my boss is too cheap to pay for faster internet).

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Very good advice. Do a site survey of your location, find the most free channel, and change your router to use this channel.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
If you or a friend has an android device, install Wifi Analyzer. It's a godsend for scouting wifi networks, which channels are being used by neighbors, signal strength, etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Get some software such as inSSIDer on a laptop and it will tell you what channels are in use around you and how strong they are.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
If you are on a Mac, hold down the OPTN key when you click on the Airport icon. It'll show you the SSID and the channel being used on any network it can see. No software necessary. Based on the channels being used by your neighbors, pick a different channel.

TRazzy66

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Consol Energy Center
If you are on a Mac, hold down the OPTN key when you click on the Airport icon. It'll show you the SSID and the channel being used on any network it can see. No software necessary. Based on the channels being used by your neighbors, pick a different channel.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Also, I am holding down the option key when I open up Airport but its not doing anything different. Any suggestions?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
By airport I hope u mean the 3 contact lenses. The option key maybe only a Mountain Lion thing, not sure. Basically ur looking for a screen that shows all ur neibours channels and their transmitting strength.

p.s.: OK here is Mountain Lion's WIFI optimizer tool. a little geek, but if u want to dealt into this without downloading and running some fancy app.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the help everyone!

Also, I am holding down the option key when I open up Airport but its not doing anything different. Any suggestions?
Hold down OPTN key, then click on Airport icon in the menu bar.

I am using PowerPC Mac running OSX Leopard 10.5.8. If Snow Leopard and above can't do this any more, I don't know what to tell you.

Thusly (top right corner of picture)…

Attachments

• grab1.jpg
    grab1.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 209

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Hold down OPTN key, then click on Airport icon in the menu bar.

I am using PowerPC Mac running OSX Leopard 10.5.8. If Snow Leopard and above can't do this any more, I don't know what to tell you.

Thusly (top right corner of picture)…

but for this you need to have airport on right? because look

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 10.35.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 10.35.48 PM.png
    891 KB · Views: 273

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
but for this you need to have airport on right? because look
If you mean already connected to a network, I guess so. It's my understanding that the higher versions of OSX offer more info when using the OPTN key and clicking on the airport icon (is it now the WiFi icon?).

Under Leopard you can hover over the other networks and get some additional info.

If I've made some false assumptions, I apologize, but it's working for me at least using the OPTN key.

TRazzy66

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Consol Energy Center
If you mean already connected to a network, I guess so. It's my understanding that the higher versions of OSX offer more info when using the OPTN key and clicking on the airport icon (is it now the WiFi icon?).

Under Leopard you can hover over the other networks and get some additional info.

If I've made some false assumptions, I apologize, but it's working for me at least using the OPTN key.

I was picking the app from the dock. Your solution worked! Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.