Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Did Apple improve the home button? The home button wore out on my iPhone 4 near the end of its 2 year cycle. I have an iPhone 5 now, and the home button is a lot more responsive so far, although that is because the phone is new. Will the home button wear out after 1 and a half years again, or did Apple improve the design of the home button?

Note: I used to be pretty obsessive about closing apps on my 4, so that meant double-clicking the home button all the time. I haven't been doing this on the 5 because the increased RAM and A6 manages multitasking better. Hopefully, this means it will last longer.

KapitanIksrog

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I like it better than all previous versions (I've had each iteration of the iPhone). It has more of a "click" feel to it and I find it easier to double push it. My 4S was spongy and didn't always register a push. I haven't had that issue on the 5.

I assume they've improved it but I don't think it would be easy to confirm unless one of the teardown sites has mentioned it.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Mine is also fine - it has an oddly satisfying deep click to it. Whether or not it holds up after 1-2 years of use; only time will tell.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Anything brand new is going to feel better than the old one that stopped working.

Time is the only true test.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
They said they improved it but we will see down the road.
So far mine is perfect too.

they supposedly improved the 4S home button too, and at least for me that has proven true. My fiance has my old 4S now, and its still as clicky and responsive as it was when brand new.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Did Apple improve the home button? The home button wore out on my iPhone 4 near the end of its 2 year cycle. I have an iPhone 5 now, and the home button is a lot more responsive so far, although that is because the phone is new. Will the home button wear out after 1 and a half years again, or did Apple improve the design of the home button?

Note: I used to be pretty obsessive about closing apps on my 4, so that meant double-clicking the home button all the time. I haven't been doing this on the 5 because the increased RAM and A6 manages multitasking better. Hopefully, this means it will last longer.

If you're truly that afraid of damaging your home button in the long term, use Assistive Touch. It's located under accessibility in Settings, comes up with a virtual home button for you.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
My 3GS the home button was sturdy when I sold it however my 4s was well light to press when I sold that. The five certainly feels better but time will tell.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
My home button hasn't fared very well and I'm quite gentle with it. Seems to be "more pushed in" now and my pushes are slowly getting harder and harder to compensate for the fact that it feels like it's getting weaker and weaker.

iPhone 5 ^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.