Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Price opinion of iPad mini 3 weeks after its release

• Greedy Apple!

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Priced to protect big iPads / I grudgeingly agree to price

Votes: 45 24.5%
  • Right price for this hardware

Votes: 67 36.4%
  • Great price!

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Incredible bargin! My dream tablet!

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • Have not seen it in person to make opinion

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Don't give a carp {sic}

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I keep seeing these silly pie charts all the time but can someone tell me where is this data actually coming from? Especially when Amazon never reveals sales figures for the Kindle Fire? How do we know it has 21% market share? And 21% market share of what? How do we even know what the total market is? Again, who on the android side is revealing sales figures for their tablet? Even Asus with the Nexus 7 didn't give out hard figures. All they said is they were selling about a million a month. Microsoft has never released sales figures for the Surface RT.

And if Apple's market share is declining so much how come all of these statistics for web usage show iPad dominating? Are people not doing any web browsing on these other tablets?

Estimates come from simply calling part manufactures and assembly plants, with a bit of estimation.

21% of all total tablets built.

As to web usage, very easy to tally, and simply shows iPads are by far the most used device.

I guess people buy 'droid tables to say "I have a tablet", but really have no idea how to use them. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Estimates come from simply calling part manufactures and assembly plants, with a bit of estimation.

21% of all total tablets built.

As to web usage, very easy to tally, and simply shows iPads are by far the most used device.

I guess people buy 'droid tables to say "I have a tablet", but really have no idea how to use them. ;)

A bit of estimation? Unless you're getting hard sales figures from companies I'd say it's a lot of estimation (or wishful thinking on the part of some, especially those pushing the whole "iPad killer" theme).

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
One read of the poll & several posts here confirms the power, control & influence Apple has over a great number of their user base. Having already given reasons for the price, Apple devotees accepted the spin as their gospel.

Years of charging high prices have clouded customers view of reality. If it's made by Apple they are programmed to expect premium pricing. Only Apple could sell a tablet with a much lower ppi value than it's competition and still price it in the stratosphere.

Finally Apple leverages the fact that they have a captive market. If you want the product, you pay the tarrif. Apple is nothing if not clever.

Not all the time, however.

Apple does sell competitively priced hardware, and the OS is dirt cheap!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
People always gripe about Apples pricing but then they want to exchange their iPads with Apples relaxed return policy and they want apple to pay its workers and its suppliers enough so these people can survive comfortably....that all costs money.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Well which is it? Apple doesn't participate in the razor-thin margin club or it's barely eeking out a profit on the Mini. Can't have both.
First, who said Apple was "barely eeking out a profit"? They're making something shy of 20% profit on a 43% gross margin.

Second, you most certainly can have both. That's exactly what Google is doing. Their $150-160 Nexus 7 sells for $199, with a ~20% gross margin and virtually zero net profit. They can afford to do that only because Google's 20% net profit, which is basically the same as Apple's, comes from their advertising revenue.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Seems to be about equal mix of pro and negative opinion of price.

I am making an arbitrary adjustment for the pro-Apple bias in forums, but even then the feeling is the price is right.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I paid $429 for the 32g and I think its more than worth that. I've wanted an Ipad for years, but never allowed myself to make the purchase because I knew with that form factor I would not carry it around with me. Since I would basically be using it at home, I couldn't justify that luxury purchase over using my home computer.

With the Mini I carry it with me all the time. I've had mine since the day they came out and I enjoy it more and more each day. (The fact that my enjoyment is increasing proves its value to me since I had a Nook Color that I grew tired of in 2 weeks . I eventually lost it somewhere and barely even cared.)

I was super excited, followed all the mini rumors etc. and this has still exceeded my hopes.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The price didn't bother me so much as the fact that for this price, it should have had more ram * at least 1gb *, and a faster processor. It doesn't come with retina and thats fine with me, but that already separates it from its big brother. I love my mini but do feel they could have at least upped the ram on it if nothing else and still kept the price the same.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Google priced the nexus line disruptively, as well as Amazon's Fire pricing.

Am typing this on a N7, have had one since launch, it's the best Android tablet, and that's damn sad. There are several manufacturers capable of making an Android tablet that's as good, they choose not to do so. And the N7 is priced so low, there's no room for manufacturers to make any money anyway.

If Google and Amazon hadn't started a race to the bottom, the current mini pricing wouldn't be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.