Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:07 PM   #51
TheMadBrewer
macrumors regular

Not angry, but if I knew the mini was coming out this soon, I would not have bought my iPad3 and just lived with my iPad2.

Of course, this is why Apple didn't tell the world
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:11 PM   #52
recharge23
macrumors regular

i was a little peeved at first but now that some time has passed, i'm glad apple is trying to stay ahead of the curve. that said, i think i'll be in the market for the second generation mini whenever they decide to release it. love the size.
recharge23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:11 PM   #53
Sdahe
macrumors 68000

I like the iPad 3 a lot... The retina display looks awsome...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:50 PM   #54
Booji
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by recharge23 View Post
i was a little peeved at first but now that some time has passed, i'm glad apple is trying to stay ahead of the curve. that said, i think i'll be in the market for the second generation mini whenever they decide to release it. love the size.
I feel the same way. At first I was peeved, but after playing with a 4, I saw the difference in speed is really not that apparent in real life. I was going to upgrade, but its just not worth it for this cycle.

Apple had to upgrade - with the Nexus 10 out its quickly becoming a spec war.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:59 PM   #55
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
I feel the same way. At first I was peeved, but after playing with a 4, I saw the difference in speed is really not that apparent in real life. I was going to upgrade, but its just not worth it for this cycle.

Apple had to upgrade - with the Nexus 10 out its quickly becoming a spec war.
Hurray finally and iPad 3 owner that gets it! CONGRATS!
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:35 AM   #56
taedouni
macrumors 65816

If Apple still sold the iPad 3 brand new for the iPad 2's price then I would not have been mad. But they completely disposed of the iPad 3 and are selling their refurbished versions for such a low price that it makes me feel that they know they made a mistake by releasing it with a A5X cheap instead of waiting for the A6X chip to be ready.

I don't mind owning something that isn't top of the line anymore. I mind when I feel that a company made a mistake rushes a new product out.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:18 AM   #57
BB.King
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtintheweb View Post
Where did you do that ?
eBay, I just picked it up today. In the UK, the 64GB 3G ipad 3 is going for same price as a new 32GB WIFI ipad 4.

The one I brought have marks from normal use on the back, and dont have the box, charger and cable (did have receipt). I'm not going to complain too much for the price I paid (400) same as new 16GB ipad 4 WIFI.

The speed difference is not that much slower compared the ipad 4 I brought on Friday. So the ipad 4 is going back to Apple after work.
BB.King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:27 AM   #58
palpatine
macrumors 68040

I'm angry, because the resale value tanked on my old new iPad. I've been upgrading yearly and not losing too much -- kind of like renting it for 10 or 15 dollars a month. Not this time, though. I'll definitely skip the 4, and probably the 5 too if it is in the Spring. It just isn't worth it to me.

It sucks, but that is the game, and I knew the risks going into this. I'm more angry with myself I guess for not reading the tea leaves better.
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 AM   #59
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502

I'm not angry anymore, I did the math, realized that all I would get from selling my ipad3 was $250, which would leave me having to fork over another $380 to get an ipad4 with Applecare +. I decided to not do that & instead am donating my now discontinued iPad 3 to a wonderful charity organization & simply going without a tablet.

The charity gets a device that hopefully will be useful to them & I get to remove a device from my home that I am no longer happy about owning, a win, win.
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 AM   #60
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Only immature, self-entititled were angry... like a toddler who is denied mom or dad's cell phone to play with.

Anyone who is still angry needs counseling. Seriously, something is missing in their life to be so consumed by this, esp such a minor upgrade.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #61
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

Not angry at all, I can't imagine how people can be. If you expected the piece of hardware to last you a year, what difference does it make that Apple released an updated version. It can still last you a year either way. Nothing about your device has changed because of the 4th gen, other than it not being the latest device out, in which case you have other issues.

I think its a good thing for Apple to update the full size iPad twice a year, I hope they continue it.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #62
Meanee
macrumors 6502a

"ZOMG my device lost value after I used it". Seriously?

Why should you be mad about it? It does the job you purchased it for, correct? Is it not doing something that you need it to do, and only next gen iPad does? What did you think, you bought iPad and Apple was like "Ok, Joe bought his iPad. Wrap up R&D, we are done here"
Meanee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:59 AM   #63
comatose81
macrumors 6502a

I got $400 on Amazon for my 16GB WiFi only iPad 3. Not sure what people are complaining about.
comatose81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:02 AM   #64
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

One GOOD thing about the iPad 3 is that it has a 30-pin adapter. Hear me out:

My wife has my old iPhone 4s and an iPad 3 that I got her for her b-day on 3/16. It really does everything we need it to do AND when she's out and about, she can carry ONE charger that will work for both her iPad and her iPhone rather than having to carry mutliple cables around.

That's about all I got though... only "silver lining" I could find in the buthumping that Apple handed us.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:12 AM   #65
malnar
macrumors 6502a

Not angry about the device itself - I couldn't care less as I wouldn't upgrade my 3rd gen this soon anyway. What I am concerned about is that Apple will obsolete the 3rd gen iPad in much quicker fashion, say by iOS 8 (just like the iPad 1 is unable to upgrade to iOS 6) just because they set the new performance bar for iOS to the 4th gen iPad for the next couple of iOSs. Of course, it sounds ludicrous to exclude it so soon, but that's exactly how it worked for the iPad 1 despite the iPod touch with practically the same innards receiving that upgrade. It could easily be the same here.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:05 AM   #66
Lubo
macrumors newbie

No, iPad 5 with new design will be in 6 months.
Lubo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:31 AM   #67
chukronos
macrumors regular

I couldn't care less about upgrading to the iPad4. Especially, after seeing the youtube video showing a negligible real world difference, and in some instances, the iPad3 loading image heavy webpages faster.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy that they upgraded the iPad3 so quickly - compared to their usual ios upgrade cycle. But, I still think the 3 is a thing of beauty.

Depending on how much the iPad3 is worth on craigslist, and if any apps won't work on it, I may upgrade to the iPad5 in March. As of right now, I plan on keeping it until the March 2014 ipad (8th, 9th gen? )
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:37 AM   #68
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
Not angry at all, I can't imagine how people can be. If you expected the piece of hardware to last you a year, what difference does it make that Apple released an updated version. It can still last you a year either way. Nothing about your device has changed because of the 4th gen, other than it not being the latest device out, in which case you have other issues.

I think its a good thing for Apple to update the full size iPad twice a year, I hope they continue it.
A lot of folks were used to selling their year old devices & recouping a good bit of their money to put towards an upgrade. That isn't going to be happening with the iPad 3 since Apple dumped them all into the refurb store at bargain basement prices. That stings for a lot of people, particularly those who bought higher end models.
Geekbabe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #69
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

People with the iPad 3 who complain need to practice patience. Yes the processor in the 4 is much better but ultimately you bought the 3 for the screen not the processor since it's equal to the iPad 2 in performance and we knew this from day 1.

The iPad3 will be a sought after device in the near future. It's the last iPad to use the 30 pin connector. There are a ton of people out there with iPhone 4's and 4S's who will be searching for iPad 3's instead of 4's so they can keep using all their cables. Chill out for a bit, your resale may have briefly dipped at the 4's announcement but it will be back up - you'll see.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:45 PM   #70
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekbabe View Post
A lot of folks were used to selling their year old devices & recouping a good bit of their money to put towards an upgrade. That isn't going to be happening with the iPad 3 since Apple dumped them all into the refurb store at bargain basement prices. That stings for a lot of people, particularly those who bought higher end models.
This! I am happy with my iPad 3 I am also happy to upgrade. What I am not happy about is the resale value tanking lol
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad