Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsurb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
FL
friend of mine is selling her macbook air. she doesnt need it and does not use it because she has the macbook pro i think. i am currently using a dell inspiron 560.. flat screen for $500 from walmart two years ago.. works good, just hate how i cant go anywhere without a computer. im going to be working with photoshop and illustrator, but portable version most likely. and surfing the internet, networking for music artists...

what would you pay for a 2008 mac book air? can i upgrade it to make it faster? software or ram?

she said she would trade for my desktop and asked how much cash i would throw on top.

what do you guys think? it comes with the external hard drive to...

if in perfect condition, what is the price range i should be looking to pay? i REALLY dont have the $ to save for a $900 or 800$ pro.... just need something for school and to take with me everywhere.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Imho....

a 2008 Macbook air is outdated technology. But, apart from that fact, there are two versions of Macbook Airs from 2008, one called original (release date circa January 2008) and another called NVIDA (released around October 2008). In any case, I think the maximum range to pay would be $750-800 tops. Check ebay or local Craiglist to get a more real market value.:)
About upgrades, if I remember well, the two versions had the RAM soldered, so no upgrade easily feasible, if any. OS in these machines can go up until Lion (10.7.5 I think....)
:):apple:

bsurb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
FL
i found them on ebay for $480-$500 shipped used... is it a reliable mac to get though?? and if i upgraded, would it cause it to go slower?

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
In any case, I think the maximum range to pay would be $750-800 tops. Check ebay or local Craiglist to get a more real

I would think half of this, tops. For $750-800 you can get used 2011 or even 2012 airs. For a 2008 I would not go over $400 if it were me. The hardware is not upgradable which means you are stuck with a low amount of ram that will make the computer seem fairly slow. I would offer her the desktop and $200 if it were me.

bsurb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
FL
And i have another choice of. 2008 unibody. Black keyboard version. My friend says the charge is like two hours long. And the rubber circles on the bottom is missing three. Dont know if the air or that ones better to get

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
would be $750-800 tops.

U have GOT to be kidding.

See that thread nearby that says BRAND NEW 2011 for $699?

To OP, OK assume this machine works for you, spec-wise, no more than $400 with new battery (say less than 50 cycles), and worn battery, subtract $150.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
And i have another choice of. 2008 unibody. Black keyboard version. My friend says the charge is like two hours long. And the rubber circles on the bottom is missing three. Dont know if the air or that ones better to get

Trust me, spend the money to get a decent macbook. Maybe a refurb from the apple store... it will serve you SO much better in the long run, and the investment will be much better than paying a still pretty high price for an old, outdated possibly worn out computer.

I don't know what your financial situation is though, so I'll leave you with this: buy the best computer you can without breaking the bank. You'll thank yourself (and me) down the road

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Personally I wouldn't pay a dime for something that old. If you're on a budget I would just get a Windows PC with better specs in the $400-500 range

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Personally I wouldn't pay a dime for something that old. If you're on a budget I would just get a Windows PC with better specs in the $400-500 range

^+1.

Some people, not OP am sure, are told gentlemen prefer blondes. Even if she's got 8 kids, 50+, thick in the middle, bad personality. But she is blonde!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
^+1.

Some people, not OP am sure, are told gentlemen prefer blondes. Even if she's got 8 kids, 50+, thick in the middle, bad personality. But she is blonde!

I think some people get too caught up in the hype of getting a Mac that they ignore the specs to justify getting a Mac. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2008 MBA doesn't even have an SSD does it? And it probably only comes with 2 GB RAM. I think this is a worthless item for the most part.

I mean some people may be okay with 2 GB RAM and a 64 GB SSD for $700, but to me that's just bad spending. If I'm getting a Mac it better damn well last a long time and perform super well which means spending a little more money.

Robalb

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
A good machine

I have a 2008 Air 1,1 which is great for traveling.

I have just installed a ssd and it fairly zips along. (the 1,1 late 2008 model takes a particular drive connection so be careful what you buy zif pata I believe)

However do not buy it if you want to run Photoshop or any adobe design programme.

I have recently have to use the air for some adobe work when my G5 died and you do need a faster, more ram, more modern machine.

For the rest - email, ms office, iphoto and itunes then the air is a great travel companion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.