Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Why is everyone so power/spec hungry? I mean seriously, everyone will buy a phone because it has a SUPER QUAD CORE 4G LTE ULTRA HD WITH 2GB OF RAM AND 64GB OF SPACE AND A 12 BILLION MEGAPIXEL CAMERA THAT CAN ZOOM INTO SPACE ZOMMGGGG when there are much better built and designed phones next to the powerful-but-just-an-expensive-brick-phone. Take some of these "monster" android and iPhone tablets. Everyone constantly puts them above the iPhone/Lower-Powered phones, but when the phones are put side by side, the iPhone/Windows Phone is a much better experience, being so much more fluid and stable. Even my Nexus 7, which on paper is extremely superior to a first gen iPad, is considerably clunky and glitchy compared to the iPad despite being so much more powerful, and when I show my friends with Galaxy S IIIs and Notes how fluid my iPhone 4S is, they wish their phone was as fluid and silky smooth as mine. Why is everyone just caught up in how many GHz a processor has? Are we really going to let sole specs alone dictate what kind of phone we want? The iPhone 5 isn't quad core but it still blows a lot of the quad core android phones out of the water.

(Sorry for some of the descriptions, I'm on an ADHD streak)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I couldn't care less what the specs of a phone are. It's not a computer where the more powerful the computer the more it can do. The only thing limiting todays phones is the integration between hardware and software. Just because it has 4 cores doesn't mean it will run worse then a dual with optimized OS.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
When iPhone doesn't have it: ITS NOT EVEN A BIG DEAL, WHO NEEDS BETTER SPECS?

When Apple adds it: OMG BEST SPECS EVER, BEATS ANYTHING SAMSUNG HAS SUCKS.

Specs aren't huge to me as I still use my iPhone 4 (which to me still has awesome specs), but I can't take any Apple fanboys perspective on specs seriously. Everytime, if Apple doesn't have it its ok and when others have it, then Apple doesn't need to copy them. lol the irony

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
While it's easy to get blinded by specs that may or may not translate into faster/better performance, they do still matter.

The 4s was noticeably faster and more capable than the 4, the 5 is noticeably more powerful and faster than the 4s, specs have their place and purpose, unless the specs don't offer real, tangible performance benefits. If in the 5s or 6, apple figured out that 4 cores made the phone much faster than the 5, and with even better battery life, I'm all for it.

I agree as you start going from single core to double, then quad, etc. and Ram going up to 2GB or more, the law of diminishing return applies, but, I recall people saying when phones had single core processors, why would a phone ever need a dual core? :)

What amazes me is that with today's tech, smartphones basically can compete with laptops in terms of speed and power, and the only real limitation is the reduced screen size.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
When iPhone doesn't have it: ITS NOT EVEN A BIG DEAL, WHO NEEDS BETTER SPECS?

When Apple adds it: OMG BEST SPECS EVER, BEATS ANYTHING SAMSUNG HAS SUCKS.

This!

I think it's always "cool" for X company to be able to say their device has the best specs but useability is the #1 issue when it comes to smart phones. Can it do what you want it to do and can it do it in fast. SO I think spec don't mean squat to most, but there are those types that think it does.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
While it's easy to get blinded by specs that may or may not translate into faster/better performance, they do still matter.

The 4s was noticeably faster and more capable than the 4, the 5 is noticeably more powerful and faster than the 4s, specs have their place and purpose, unless the specs don't offer real, tangible performance benefits. If in the 5s or 6, apple figured out that 4 cores made the phone much faster than the 5, and with even better battery life, I'm all for it.

I agree as you start going from single core to double, then quad, etc. and Ram going up to 2GB or more, the law of diminishing return applies, but, I recall people saying when phones had single core processors, why would a phone ever need a dual core? :)

What amazes me is that with today's tech, smartphones basically can compete with laptops in terms of speed and power, and the only real limitation is the reduced screen size.

I agree, take the MBP for example, they bumped the specs from 2011-2012 and when I compare a 2012 to my 2011 MBP there seems to be no difference at all. There comes a time when specs get ridiculous. Like the rumored S4 8core processor. That's not necessary on a phone! My laptop has a quadcore and that works perfectly. What does a phone need an octacore processor for?

There comes a time when upgrading technology becomes more important then upgrading specs. Like what apple did moving from the A5-A6. Which is a duel core that blows higher clocked quadcores away.

Screen size will be a limitation for any phone even the great "note 2". Phones aren't meant to be your sole Internet access, this is why we have iPads and computers

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Because you can tell the difference in everyday usage. Besides, your OP is ridiculous in its obvious bias and lack of actual experience/knowledge.

The experience is excellent on the newer Android phones, especially the Nexus series. 60FPS and all day+ battery life along with a larger display and gesture typing (4.2.1, yay) make Jelly Bean a better experience than iOS (for me).

Nexus 7 vs. iPad 1. Lies, you're either obfuscating the facts or lying about having a Nexus 7. I have personally owned the iPad 1, and I can say that even on iOS 4, that thing was a piece of laggy crap. The A4 w/256MB of RAM was ridiculously underpowered - and you're claiming it's more fluid than a Nexus 7?

My 1.5 year old Galaxy Nexus is as smooth as my iPhone 4S. I have both and I've owned multiple iOS devices in total. The newer Android phones with quad core processors and Adreno 320/Mali T400 GPUs obliterate both the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 4S. Good luck spewing your biased BS everywhere.

I agree, take the MBP for example, they bumped the specs from 2011-2012 and when I compare a 2012 to my 2011 MBP there seems to be no difference at all. There comes a time when specs get ridiculous. Like the rumored S4 8core processor. That's not necessary on a phone! My laptop has a quadcore and that works perfectly. What does a phone need an octacore processor for?

There comes a time when upgrading technology becomes more important then upgrading specs. Like what apple did moving from the A5-A6. Which is a duel core that blows higher clocked quadcores away.

So what do you propose we do? Just not bump specs at all? And who says that the S4 will have an 8 core processor? Link me a single reputable site that says so - I dare you. The S4 will run on the Exynos 5450, which will feature Cortex A15 architecture with a 1.7-2.0GHz+ core clock. It will destroy any dual core processor, much like the current Snapdragon S4 Pro processors are destroying the A6 in everything but graphics benchmarks (don't mention browser benches - those aren't accurate measures of hardware performance).

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Because you can tell the difference in everyday usage. Besides, your OP is ridiculous in its obvious bias and lack of actual experience/knowledge.

The experience is excellent on the newer Android phones, especially the Nexus series. 60FPS and all day+ battery life along with a larger display and gesture typing (4.2.1, yay) make Jelly Bean a better experience than iOS (for me).

Nexus 7 vs. iPad 1. Lies, you're either obfuscating the facts or lying about having a Nexus 7. I have personally owned the iPad 1, and I can say that even on iOS 4, that thing was a piece of laggy crap. The A4 w/256MB of RAM was ridiculously underpowered - and you're claiming it's more fluid than a Nexus 7?

My 1.5 year old Galaxy Nexus is as smooth as my iPhone 4S. I have both and I've owned multiple iOS devices in total. The newer Android phones with quad core processors and Adreno 320/Mali T400 GPUs obliterate both the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 4S. Good luck spewing your biased BS everywhere.

Some great points in here^

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Because Samsung trained them to be.
And spec is something people can brag about, e.g.
"My phone is quad core. Your dual core sucks,"

well, why does the dual core phone scroll smoother than the quad core? It's hard to quantify!

"My phone scrolls at 60fps, yours is only 30fps"
"WTF?!"

Also, "Super AMOLED" sounds superior to other screen without the "super" word. (yes, "retina" display sounds weird)

And those stupid long names have a use: to print those logo all over the box so that it looks like there are a lot of features.

And it works!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Because the layman doesn't know much and obviously TEH BIGGAR NUMBARS ARE BETTARRR!!

The fact that the device has to run a JVM to interpret most of it's code, and needs 1.5-2x the cpu grunt and a heap more RAM to give an equivalent experience with inferior battery life is besides the point.

edit:
and of course specs matter. But comparing device A spec vs device B hardware spec when they run an entirely different software stack with different resource requirements is retarded.

Its like comparing the horsepower output of a 600cc motorcycle (120hp) vs a v8 sedan (say, 350hp) and expecting the sedan to be faster because the number is bigger. It is not necessarily the case.

Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Because they layman doesn't know much and obviously TEH BIGGAR NUMBARS ARE BETTARRR!!

The fact that the device has to run a JVM to interpret most of it's code, and needs 1.5-2x the cpu grunt and a heap more RAM to give an equivalent experience with inferior battery life is besides the point.

The Java virtual machine is more inefficient than a completely Objective C based OS, but it's not "1.5-2X" more inefficient. It's not enough to make a difference in battery life - in fact, many Android flagship phones get significantly better battery life than the iPhone 5.

Because Samsung trained them to be.
And spec is something people can brag about, e.g.
"My phone is quad core. Your dual core sucks,"

well, why does the dual core phone scroll smoother than the quad core? It's hard to quantify!

"My phone scrolls at 60fps, yours is only 30fps"
"WTF?!"

Also, "Super AMOLED" sounds superior to other screen without the "super" word. (yes, "retina" display sounds weird)

And those stupid long names have a use: to print those logo all over the box so that it looks like there are a lot of features.

And it works!

You trained yourself to think like this. Did you know that even a 1.5 year old dual core Galaxy Nexus scrolls at 60FPS? Did you know that this is what a Note II box looks like? Note the lack of marketing terms spewed everywhere.

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-note2_box.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-note2_box.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 96

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The Java virtual machine is more inefficient

I'm sure it varies depending on the workload being performed.

The exact figure wasn't the point anyway.

Different software platform = different performance on equivalent hardware.

The spec sheet isn't what people need to base their purchasing decisions on. They need to evaluate what the device does, how it works and decide based on that. If android works for you, great. But base your decision on using the device rather than spec-sheet masturbation.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm not.

Still using my iPhone 3GS with no intention of upgrading. Why?

Because it can still do the basic things I want it to. Don't mind it being a little slow. ;)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

So what do you propose we do? Just not bump specs at all? And who says that the S4 will have an 8 core processor? Link me a single reputable site that says so - I dare you. The S4 will run on the Exynos 5450, which will feature Cortex A15 architecture with a 1.7-2.0GHz+ core clock. It will destroy any dual core processor, much like the current Snapdragon S4 Pro processors are destroying the A6 in everything but graphics benchmarks (don't mention browser benches - those aren't accurate measures of hardware performance).

First of all like I said it is a "rumor", second I hope they would release a phone with a better processor because that's what competition is all about. Then apple will come back and beat that one with the A7 chip that they will most likely throw in the 5S. It is going to be a cycle and that's what makes competition better.

Why do you get so defensive and start throwing out specs? I love my iPhone 5 and I won't change it till the 6 comes out. That's why I hated when I had my android phones, I would buy the best phone out and then 1 month later something much better came out. I don't need all that extra power and my iPhone 5 will be all I need for a couple years until software passes the hardware capabilities.

Why have all those specs if the software out can't even take advantage of it?

Anyway I'm glad you are happy with your android, why do you constantly have to attack people that prefer the iPhone? It's personal preference.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The Java virtual machine is more inefficient than a completely Objective C based OS, but it's not "1.5-2X" more inefficient. It's not enough to make a difference in battery life - in fact, many Android flagship phones get significantly better battery life than the iPhone 5.

You trained yourself to think like this. Did you know that even a 1.5 year old dual core Galaxy Nexus scrolls at 60FPS? Did you know that this is what a Note II box looks like? Note the lack of marketing terms spewed everywhere.

Galaxy Nexus is a nexus phone without Samsung TouchWiz softwares all over it AFAIK. What I referred to was my observation for several Galaxy S III, well you can say it's not statistically significant. But that's what I see. You don't have to believe a stranger on the internet anyway.

Re: the box
Yeah right, I was wrong about the logos being ON the box. They are actually IN the box. Just open up the box and you can see...

HD SUPER AMOLED logo with a huge circle around it occupying 1/4 of the screen
android(tm) "technology" - sounds like it's something really sophisticated
Quad Core CPU! Here it is!
Bluetooth - WTF? Who doesn't have bluetooth?
NFC))) ... of course.

Oh and the hideous carrier/operator logo. We can't miss that.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
While specs are talked about quite a bit, I'm not so sure that "everyone is power hungry".

Here's why: I have a huge circle of friends that work in tech as I do. They are hard core enthusiasts like myself.

Yet when it comes right down to selecting the next smartphone, we are looking for a balance of form factor, features, performance, and other considerations.

No one I know... picks their phone based on the singular consideration of how much power it has.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
First of all like I said it is a "rumor", second I hope they would release a phone with a better processor because that's what competition is all about. Then apple will come back and beat that one with the A7 chip that they will most likely throw in the 5S. It is going to be a cycle and that's what makes competition better.

Why do you get so defensive and start throwing out specs? I love my iPhone 5 and I won't change it till the 6 comes out. That's why I hated when I had my android phones, I would buy the best phone out and then 1 month later something much better came out. I don't need all that extra power and my iPhone 5 will be all I need for a couple years until software passes the hardware capabilities.

Why have all those specs if the software out can't even take advantage of it?

Anyway I'm glad you are happy with your android, why do you constantly have to attack people that prefer the iPhone? It's personal preference.

• Rumors are still started by some site with semi-credible sources. Not you. Not your forum buddies.
  • Good, that's what competition is about. Glad to see you understand basic economics.
  • I didn't get defensive. I didn't throw out specs. I was simply refuting all of your BS. And I'm OK with all the new Android phones bypassing my geriatric Nexus. Why? Because my Nexus still works perfectly fine, even if it's a lesser beast on paper.
  • What do you mean, the software can't take advantage of it? My Nexus has 768MB of usable RAM and a dual core 1.4GHz TI OMAP 4460 processor. I didn't upgrade to the excellent Nexus 4 because I don't need all that RAM and performance. The software can utilize it just perfectly - but my browsing and usage habits don't demand an upgrade. Yay logic.
  • I'm not attacking people who prefer iPhones. I'm merely attacking the BS that's splattered all over this forum. By the way, you (and everyone else in this thread) started attacking Android users. Just a little hint, in case you missed the obvious.

Galaxy Nexus is a nexus phone without Samsung TouchWiz softwares all over it AFAIK. What I referred to was my observation for several Galaxy S III, well you can say it's not statistically significant. But that's what I see. You don't have to believe a stranger on the internet anyway.

Re: the box
Yeah right, I was wrong about the logos being ON the box. They are actually IN the box. Just open up the box and you can see...

HD SUPER AMOLED logo with a huge circle around it occupying 1/4 of the screen
Android "technology" - naming it XX technology sounds like it's something really sophisticated
Quad Core CPU! Here it is!
Bluetooth - WTF? Who doesn't have bluetooth?
NFC... of course.

Oh and the hedious carrier/operator logo. We can't miss that.

So the film on the phone is a holocaust-esque offense? AFAIK, by the time you see those "hedious" stickers, you've already bought the bloody phone. Logic fail. Yay.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
  • Rumors are still started by some site with semi-credible sources. Not you. Not your forum buddies.
  • Good, that's what competition is about. Glad to see you understand basic economics.
  • I didn't get defensive. I didn't throw out specs. I was simply refuting all of your BS. And I'm OK with all the new Android phones bypassing my geriatric Nexus. Why? Because my Nexus still works perfectly fine, even if it's a lesser beast on paper.
  • What do you mean, the software can't take advantage of it? My Nexus has 768MB of usable RAM and a dual core 1.4GHz TI OMAP 4460 processor. I didn't upgrade to the excellent Nexus 4 because I don't need all that RAM and performance. The software can utilize it just perfectly - but my browsing and usage habits don't demand an upgrade. Yay logic.
  • I'm not attacking people who prefer iPhones. I'm merely attacking the BS that's splattered all over this forum. By the way, you (and everyone else in this thread) started attacking Android users. Just a little hint, in case you missed the obvious.

So the film on the phone is a holocaust-esque offense? AFAIK, by the time you see those "hedious" stickers, you've already bought the bloody phone. Logic fail. Yay.
For quad core to be useful the software has to be programmed for it. With android being so segmented developers aren't going to program their apps for a quad core when most androids are running on duel cores. I never said anything bad about android I just said they aren't for me, I have tried 3 of them all them were laggy including my last phone before the iPhone 5 which was the SIII. That is because they load it with crap. This is why your nexus is still running well because its vanilla, now if you went out and bout a SIII or Note 2 it won't run nearly as good as your nexus even though it has twice the specs because of all the crap the manufacturers and carriers put on it.

You seem to hate apple and their products so why are you a member of this forum?

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For quad core to be useful the software has to be programmed for it. With android being so segmented developers aren't going to program their apps for a quad core when most androids are running on duel cores. I never said anything bad about android I just said they aren't for me, I have tried 3 of them all them were laggy including my last phone before the iPhone 5 which was the SIII. That is because they load it with crap. This is why your nexus is still running well because its vanilla, now if you went out and bout a SIII or Note 2 it won't run nearly as good as your nexus even though it has twice the specs because of all the crap the manufacturers and carriers put on it.

You seem to hate apple and their products so why are you a member of this forum?

Well,

• Apps are at least dual core, but what most people do (watch videos, browse web, etc) are threaded for four cores.
  • I didn't read usernames. It might not have been you, but most people in this thread came here to insult the supposed spec obsession of Android users.
  • The SIII and Note II are both excellent phones that have been repeatedly praised for their performance and fluidity. And as of ICS, you can disable modules that are part of your ROM from within the Settings app. So you can stop all that stuff that the carriers dumped on your phone. If TouchWiz bothers you, then just slap AOKP or MIUI on there and call it vanilla.
  • I don't hate Apple and I don't hate Apple products. I love my Mac and OS X and still think it's the best OS in the world - even though I'm typing this on my 13" Samsung Series 9 ultrabook. I own a lot of stuff from different companies. If you're so inclined, check out my post history. I don't hate anything except for BS.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Well,

• Apps are at least dual core, but what most people do (watch videos, browse web, etc) are threaded for four cores.
  • I didn't read usernames. It might not have been you, but most people in this thread came here to insult the supposed spec obsession of Android users.
  • The SIII and Note II are both excellent phones that have been repeatedly praised for their performance and fluidity. And as of ICS, you can disable modules that are part of your ROM from within the Settings app. So you can stop all that stuff that the carriers dumped on your phone. If TouchWiz bothers you, then just slap AOKP or MIUI on there and call it vanilla.
  • I don't hate Apple and I don't hate Apple products. I love my Mac and OS X and still think it's the best OS in the world - even though I'm typing this on my 13" Samsung Series 9 ultrabook. I own a lot of stuff from different companies. If you're so inclined, check out my post history. I don't hate anything except for BS.

Yea note 2 and galaxy S3 are great phones but you have to root them and flash CM10 on them so they can run like they should. What about the people that don't know how to do that? They have to clear the ram all the time? That gets old after awhile. Because of this the only good androids in my opinion are the nexus series.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea note 2 and galaxy S3 are great phones but you have to root them and flash CM10 on them so they can run like they should. What about the people that don't know how to do that? They have to clear the ram all the time? That gets old after awhile. Because of this the only good androids in my opinion are the nexus series.

You don't clear RAM on Android or OpenBSD systems like OS X. Besides, RAM is a non issue when you have 2GB available. And they run like they should - they just look a little odd while doing it. Most people are fine with that - prefer it, even. I don't, so I bought a Nexus. It's a modder's phone.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
You don't clear RAM on Android or OpenBSD systems like OS X. Besides, RAM is a non issue when you have 2GB available. And they run like they should - they just look a little odd while doing it. Most people are fine with that - prefer it, even. I don't, so I bought a Nexus. It's a modder's phone.

I never had to clear my MBPs ram, I kind of did overkill with 16gb. With my experience from having the S3 for 2 months it did lag and the memory had to be cleared by holding down the home button and clearing all. Call it what you want but it is clearing apps that are open in memory and it would lag if I didn't do this. I am speaking from my own experience with the product. Once I put Cm10 that issue went away. It's a problem with touch wiz and all the other crap on the stock android phones.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011

I know specs are important, but it seems people are being guided to just everything that sounds super souped up.

From what I've heard from one of my friends who follows everything Google related, my Nexus 7 came from a "bad batch", but my Nexus 7 will lag horribly in opening apps or loading other things, while my mother's iPad she uses at work runs just fine with some lag, but still runs fluidly.

I also have my experience with newer Android phones, but not every Android phone runs the same. I'm not saying my iPhone is perfect either. My iPhone does lag sometimes (rarely) but does lag. I've seen my friends Android phones crash trying to open the camera before (which has happened to be but only on betas) but I'm not trying to attack those phones, I'm just saying that companies are throwing out all these super high specs when in reality the specs aren't enough to make a phone work "good". Of course there are Android phones out there that are better than the iPhone. I'm not trying to say the iPhone is better. I'm also not trying to say the Samsung Galaxy S III or Note II are bad phones, I actually really like the Note II and if I wanted and Android phone it would be one of the ones I considered.

I'm not saying we don't bump specs, what I'm saying is why is everyone jumping on the most super powerful phone and then attack anything that's under it? There are a lot of phones that spec wise don't fully match up to a Samsung Galaxy S III or a Galaxy Note but still run just as perfect or sometimes even better.

I'm not even attacking Android, or Samsung, or anything, all I'm trying to say is I don't fully understand why people will jump on the fastest hottest thing and denote everything underneath it as inferior? We can keep bumping specs, I just don't think people should denote anything underneath the latest and greatest.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I never had to clear my MBPs ram, I kind of did overkill with 16gb. With my experience from having the S3 for 2 months it did lag and the memory had to be cleared by holding down the home button and clearing all. Call it what you want but it is clearing apps that are open in memory and it would lag if I didn't do this. I am speaking from my own experience with the product. Once I put Cm10 that issue went away. It's a problem with touch wiz and all the other crap on the stock android phones.

What you're referring to is closing running apps, which is like closing windows in OS X or Windows. It's different from clearing RAM. These processes are actually running actively in the background - yes, they're talking up RAM, but they're more importantly using processor cycles and saturating your memory bandwidth.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What you're referring to is closing running apps, which is like closing windows in OS X or Windows. It's different from clearing RAM. These processes are actually running actively in the background - yes, they're talking up RAM, but they're more importantly using processor cycles and saturating your memory bandwidth.

Well that's what I was talking about even though I used the wrong terminology. That's one reason i prefer the iPhone, it's much better at managing open application then my S3 was and plus it works much better with all my other apple devices.

When I would stream movies from my S3 to my Samsung TV it was very laggy but the airplay from my iPhone to the appleTV is very smooth.

It's all personal preference. I love my iPhone others love there androids.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.