Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Recently I've been having issues with my Macbook Air. The internet browser is slow, sometimes it cuts out and I have to reconnect to my wireless, loading macrumors took much longer than it should have; other than that, the app store always loads ultra slow, and currently I'm updating iTunes (16.6mb update) and it took a good 10 minutes (whereas on other computers downloading a larger file from Apple's website takes much less time).

To give some reference: there are two iPad 2's in the house, and they function perfectly on the wireless. My desktop runs on wireless and it functions blazingly fast in the house. My position in the house doesn't lessen or worsen the issue I'm describing (the wireless signal is fairly good throughout the house). I haven't had a chance to test other wireless networks yet, though it shouldn't be our network (it's entirely normal, iPads work on it, other computers work on it, etc).

I'm wondering: am I experiencing a problem which is due to my Air, or what might be the issue? Thanks.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I'm wondering: am I experiencing a problem which is due to my Air, or what might be the issue? Thanks.

Overall my experience with 2011 MBA is difficulty to latch on to the wifi when awaking from deep sleep. Which some times requires disabling the machine's wifi connectivity and starting it again. As is the case with quite a few people I believe. Once it's on the wifi though, it doesn't drop so it sounds like you may have an issue with yours. Do you live near an apple store? Why don't you take it in and have it checked out?

I believe it may be a bug with Lion because my 2010 MBA didn't have this problem.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Overall my experience with 2011 MBA is difficulty to latch on to the wifi when awaking from deep sleep. Which some times requires disabling the machine's wifi connectivity and starting it again. As is the case with quite a few people I believe. Once it's on the wifi though, it doesn't drop so it sounds like you may have an issue with yours. Do you live near an apple store? Why don't you take it in and have it checked out?

I believe it may be a bug with Lion because my 2010 MBA didn't have this problem.

Although I think I've turned my Macbook Air off once or twice in the past few months, I'll try restarting it, restarting the wireless, and keeping a closer eye on it. I haven't been using it much lately (couple months without use), so I'll start using it daily and keep my eye on the problem. It's sort of on-and-off (sometimes it's not a problem, sometimes it starts being a problem with no reason).

I guess I'll drive to an Apple store if it shows up again. It'll suck to have to do that buuuuut I definitely want to make sure the laptop is set to last me for my remaining years in university without having to pay for Apple Care beyond the 1 year.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It sounds like it's how your machine wakes up from deep sleep. Maybe try changing the system preference or even the Caffeine app if you want to avoid deep sleep? On what you said, it may also be worth enquiring if your machine doesn't qualify for extended hardware warranty. In Europe at least if you purchase a machine through the educational use, your warranty extends automatically to 3 years

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
I am having similar issue with my MBA.
Other windows machines and even the MBA running Windows 7 under bootcamp are rock solid but MBA under OSX is spotty and seems to be getting worse?

rtsoq

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
MBA - Internet slowness

I just bought our families second macbook air. I have been really frustrated that the internet speed is probably 50% of what my 8 year old dell laptop running a bogged down windows was giving me. I've been thinking it was a problem with the computer.

The second MBA in my family I previously hadn't used much as it belonged to my wife. I'm just trying it now and am realizing that the internet speed sucks on this one too.

I guarantee you it isn't the internet connection...unless it's MBA and Linksys as the problem. My other computers are fast.

I think the apple marketing machine got way ahead of the actual performance. I love the SSD and speed of the OS...but they have obviously skimped on the wi-fi...and I'm now going to be paying the price for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.