Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In what way do you think Aperture is far ahead of LR? Serious question...

User interface and work flow. Aperture is pretty good when it comes to processing 200 images and getting them all graded, adjusted and cropped.

If you need some fancy editing that requires layers and masks in Aperture it takes only a couple (literally) mouse clicks to round trip it through Photoshop. You do NOT have to do an export and re-import. Aperture integrates almost seamlessly to Adobe PS or PS Elements. YOu can bring up PS inside Aperture.

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I'm going to laugh when Aperture 4 comes out later this year and half the people who say they're moving to Lightroom come right back to Aperture.

Some of you are so impatient.

Apple's never been the company to announce and show off new software before hand. It's not like this is anything new, they've been doing it forever. I don't know why all of a sudden the past year or two everyone thinks they can claim Apple has abandoned everything because they don't announce their upgrades in advance. People tried to say the same thing in regards to Final Cut and then FCP X came out. Logic Pro X and Aperture 4 are definitely in the pipeline...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No, I didn't 'get' that one either. Simply put, some people think that they're superior because they don't use a specific software. More often than not it actually means that they can't work out how to use the software so would rather express that they are 'above such things'.

See also:
Film is better than digital
Nikon is better than canon (or visa versa)
Android is better than iOS
(car) is better than (car)
dogs are better than cats
I haven't been laid in years
and so on.

You had a point until you got to the dogs vs. cat. Dogs ARE better than cats. It's indisputable :D

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Check and mate, Apple. it's embarrassing that Aperture hasn't had a decent update while competitors are running circles around it.

So use the competitors software. Apple's margins are on the hardware, which you appear to already own.

Embarrassing would be the guy moaning about software on the internet, rather than just getting on with it and using what works for them.

We get it, iOS, iPads, iPhones, "Angry Birds", games, Facebook and Twitter are your bread and butter focus.

Apple focussses on the masses and have done for years.

Apple doesn't make Angry Birds.

Apple designs the platforms and hardware. The best software for their platforms and hardware has nearly always come from 3rd parties. They've had some hits over the years no doubt, but it's not been a focus for the company. Judging by the importance placed on their own software in their marketing - it's not very important to Apple.

Having said that iLife and iWork are what I use at home - it's great for that use case (I could never use iWork at the office though!).

Yet you once made great displays, powerful and current tech, and a great, stable OS.

The Thunderbolt display is pretty damn amazing in my opinion. Looks great. Great colours and viewing angles. And the 'hub' for MacBooks is useful too if you own a compatible laptop. The iPhone 5 and current 9.7" iPad screens are fantastic too - industry leading upon release, if the display experts are to be believed.

Lion for some reason was unpolished. It just didn't feel 100% stable to me. Tiger, Leopord, Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion have all been excellent in my use. Fingers crossed for better multi-monitor support in 10.9!

Please do define current tech though. I am unsure what you mean by that term.

- Revolutionising the smartphone market?
- Introducing the modern Appstore model with easy payments.
- Pushing (doubling) the PPI of displays on their mobile devices phone, tablet and laptop - dragging the industry with them?
- Creating the modern tablet market?
- Co-developed Thunderbolt, which pros (like the ones you say Apple rejects) absolutely love. Don't believe the fools on forums who moan about price. For pros; time = money. And tech like Thunderbolt can easily pay for itself regardless of how expensive it may seem to the average consumer.
- iCloud which trounces anything from their smartphone/tablet competitors?

All that was in the last 6 years. Maybe not current enough for you? What 'current tech' has the competition developed? Bigger phones and smaller tablets? Realised their error with Flash on mobile devices? "Smart" Glasses (which are still not available to the public)? Poor integration of NFC? A 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' attitude to software development?

Do tell, I'm interested to hear how Apple are not 'current' enough for you.

Sounds like Apple are doing just fine in comparison to the competition.

I'm not buying this post-PC era ****,

The public sure are.

try real work on a tablet.

Erm no, that would be stupid. The modern tablet has been in existence for about 3 years. It isn't mature enough to do a lot of 'real' work yet. Although there are tales that some people have successfully transisitoned depending on their work.

If you want to do 'real' work then you should buy a truck that runs OS X. There is a lot of software that is mature on that platform. You should find you can do almost anything you want.

There is also Microsoft's Windows with an even bigger ecosystem. And depending on your needs Linux may be a fit too.

At most, they're entertainment devices and extensions for desktop systems.

Most certainly not a mere extension of the desktop for me. I probably have a 90/10 split towards the iPad over my iMac. My gf literally never uses her MacBook Pro anymore (except to back up the pics on her phone). My parents and flatmate only own an iPad - no desktop. Small sample sizes and anecdotal, but I'm seeing that the iPad is fine for the mass market as their main computing device.

Your use cases and therefore usage may vary.

Market over-saturation and breaking into the Chinese market aren't doing well for that stock,

Silly metric for judging the success of a major tech company.

If I had the money I could buy Apple today and if they continue making money at exactly the same rate as today (no growth at all) my purchase would have paid for itself in about 5 years.

Apple is perfectly healthy.

and you lost the business/pro sect that supported you through your tough years.

You don't run the biggest tech company in America on sentiment.

With Adobe releasing subscription apps, now's the time to get some of that market back, it adds up when businesses invest tens or hundreds of thousands at a time in upgrades.

I've actually seen a few of my education friends in support of the subscription model. Allows them to have all things Adobe for about $20 a month. Not saying it's right or wrong, but for some it works.

I also have to ask from a business perspective what advantage it has to Apple selling more copies of Apperture? Financially next to nothing I imagine. The market for such an app is no doubt tiny compared to the whole photo editing market - most Mac users probably make do with iPhoto - I know it does everything I need.

Bring back the Mac!

As a shareholder I'm perfectly happy with the way the company is being run.

- The mature Mac is getting steady improvements. There is no innovation happening in this sector. Windows 8 is not a step forward for the pros that use desktops.
- The still nascent iOS is ready for a big overhaul, which looks forthcoming tonight.
- Apps are mostly being left to third parties (Apple may come out swinging and refresh everything, but I think they realise providing a stellar platform is more important). Having said that Final Cut Pro X seems to have reached a point now where people say it's very good.

It's not all doom and gloom, and if you really feel Apple are falling behind you should ditch and switch to whatever you feel will work better for you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
User interface and work flow. Aperture is pretty good when it comes to processing 200 images and getting them all graded, adjusted and cropped.

If you need some fancy editing that requires layers and masks in Aperture it takes only a couple (literally) mouse clicks to round trip it through Photoshop. You do NOT have to do an export and re-import. Aperture integrates almost seamlessly to Adobe PS or PS Elements. YOu can bring up PS inside Aperture.

I f'ed that up. I meant far behind. The guy said LR was ahead. :eek: I use Aperture and haven't found the need to go to LR yet.
I edited my post.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I've actually seen a few of my education friends in support of the subscription model. Allows them to have all things Adobe for about $20 a month. Not saying it's right or wrong, but for some it works.

You might want to point out to them that this is a limited offer - at least the European store has the annotation that the "OFFER ENDS SOON", so it wouldn't surprise me if the price will change 12 months into the subscription.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Nothing irks me more than people taking the time in picking apart every single sentence with condescending personal opinions. I wasn't "moaning", and I don;t appreciate the personal insults. It's ironic that you criticize me for stating points yet take the time to write a long, insulting, opinionated diatribe. You have a lot of time on your hands. I don't know you, you don't know me, why personally attack a stranger with your opinions? I don't know how you expect me to respond let alone read a long insulting post. Was it worth it? You feel powerful? Do you feel you "showed me"? :roll eyes:

If you don't agree, don't waste others' time with grandstanding and move on.

FYI I'm not "bashing" Apple and I'm certainly not in the minority as you claim. Blithely accepting everything without constructive, objective points doesn't help progress. After today's announcements I'm thrilled for Apple. I could simply state the same, if you don't agree that doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.

Last edited:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
You might want to point out to them that this is a limited offer - at least the European store has the annotation that the "OFFER ENDS SOON", so it wouldn't surprise me if the price will change 12 months into the subscription.

Ah I didn't know. Thanks for the info. :)

Nothing irks me more than people taking the time in picking apart every single sentence with condescending personal opinions. I wasn't "moaning", and I don;t appreciate the personal insults. It's ironic that you criticize me for stating points yet take the time to write a long, insulting, opinionated diatribe. You have a lot of time on your hands. I don't know you, you don't know me, why personally attack a stranger with your opinions? I don't know how you expect me to respond let alone read a long insulting post. Was it worth it? You feel powerful? Do you feel you "showed me"? :roll eyes:

If you don't agree, don't waste others' time with grandstanding and move on.

FYI I'm not "bashing" Apple and I'm certainly not in the minority as you claim. Blithely accepting everything without constructive, objective points doesn't help progress. After today's announcements I'm thrilled for Apple. I could simply state the same, if you don't agree that doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.

If I offended you, I'm sorry. Not my intention. Chill out, this is the Internet - not many of us on the forum know each other. Just strangers with a common interest: Apple :apple:

You put an opinion on an open discussion forum, someone (me) decided to discuss it. You didn't like my reply so you've spat the dummy out and decided to get defensive, rather than discuss why you think Apple should waste time and resources on Aperture when we have Lightroom that is comfortably better according to most observers. You also take Apple to task about no longer being current or producing great tech like they once did. I answered why I thought you were wrong on these points and backed them up with example products.

Apple hold the keys to the OS X kingdom - they should focus on providing a rich environment for devs IMO (they've always been strong at that). If they dabble in some software to show off certain capabilities that's fine. But I don't think it would be good for them to waste too much time when there are decent software houses focussing on purely great software to run on Apple's hardware and software. That's the crux of my point.

I did say doing real work on a tablet (whatever 'real' work is...) would be stupid. And I stand by that. The iPad is too immature, 3 years on the market, to be using it for pro work. It was never sold as that. And most likely never really will. I didn't intend to call you stupid, just the thought of doing 'real' work on a 9.7" tablet.

But to call me out for insulting you? Say what? Please show me where I was 'attacking' you.

FYI - 3,868 posts since joining in 2009 and I'm the one with a lot of time on my hands. :rolleyes:

I never said you were bashing Apple - not sure why you used quotes?

The fact you know what Aperture is makes you a minority. The fact you use Aperture (or a similar alternative) makes you even more so.

And finally I don't want everyone to agree. I want considered discussion.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
My first photography software purchase was Aperture version 1 several years ago. I stuck with it for about a year before making the jump to Lightroom and have had no regrets. Like most have said, I prefer Aperture's library/catalog layout but when it comes to actual editing I still feel LR wins for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.