Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling the Apple TV set-top box in India following the December launch of the iTunes Store for music and movies. BGR reports that the Apple TV is now available in India for Rs 8,295 including taxes, roughly equivalent to $153 US.

indianappletv.jpg
Moments after we revealed Apple putting up Apple TV product page on its India site, it has quietly launched it in the country for Rs 8,295. [UPDATE: Apple updated its India site to reflect the price revision. We hear that the earlier price did not include taxes.] We were earlier told it would be priced at Rs 6,990. We checked with a couple of Apple premium resellers but it seems the stocks have not made it to stores, yet.
Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed last month that the company sold 2 million Apple TV boxes during the holiday quarter, showing 60% year-over-year growth.

Cook's language around the product was consistent with prior messaging, saying that television was "an area of intense interest for us" and that "there is a lot we can contribute in this space and we continue to pull the string and see where it leads us".

Article Link: Apple TV Launches in India Following iTunes Store Launch

Shining23

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
India
"An Apple India representative speaking with that publication stated that Apple is currently looking to partner with Indian content providers in order to bring content streaming services to its diminutive set-top box, bringing Indian customers access to services similar to Netflix and Hulu Plus."
- Apple Insider

Apple's attitude towards India has changed after the iPhone 5 launch. Now a days I see many people carrying iPhone 4/4S if not 5.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
How much of india has dsl or cable internet? Lot of the people i know in India have never heard of broadband :rolleyes:

Shining23

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
India
How much of india has dsl or cable internet? Lot of the people i know in India have never heard of broadband :rolleyes:

India is the world's third-largest Internet user-base with over 137 million as of June 2012 and it targets 600 Million broadband users by 2020.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Dude,all the upper middle class has broadband,maybe 2% of the population,but that is 2% is pretty huge.India also has world's second largest number of FB users and mobile subscribers.

----------

"An Apple India representative speaking with that publication stated that Apple is currently looking to partner with Indian content providers in order to bring content streaming services to its diminutive set-top box, bringing Indian customers access to services similar to Netflix and Hulu Plus."
- Apple Insider

Apple's attitude towards India has changed after the iPhone 5 launch. Now a days I see many people carrying iPhone 4/4S if not 5.

Agreed,especially at airports and big hotels and malls,iPhone 4/4S have been quite popular.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
India is the world's third-largest Internet user-base with over 137 million as of June 2012 and it targets 600 Million broadband users by 2020.

I was talking about broadband not Internet user-base, which I'm sure there are over 137 millions people, but of these 137 million how many are still on dial up? Having a apple tv without broadband is pretty useless. In big cities like New Delhi and Bombay they probably have access to broadband. I wonder what kind of speeds they get.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I was talking about broadband not Internet user-base, which I'm sure there are over 137 millions people, but of these 137 million how many are still on dial up? Having a apple tv without broadband is pretty useless. In big cities like New Delhi and Bombay they probably have access to broadband. I wonder what kind of speeds they get.

Speeds are quite high if you get a good plan. Airtel offers a max of 16mbps on normal plans and 40, 80 and 100mbps on fiber ops.

lostjournal

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012

Seems like you are an Indian settled in the US/Canada. Whatever be it - you have no common sense, which also makes you dumb. And you are making a fool of yourself here.

We are talking about Apple TV here. If you are capable of buying an Apple TV, then what is stopping you from buying a good broadband plan. Ever heard of FTTH. There are plenty of good internet plans available capable of streaming full HD contents.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I had a friend send a couple apple tv's to India last year. His family loves them over there, glad they now are selling them their too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.