Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mobile Word Processor 'Quip' Launches for iOS

Quip, a mobile word processor designed by ex-Google Maps and Facebook executive Bret Taylor, launched today on iOS. The app includes features such as a mobile-friendly interface and integrated to-do lists for tasks, as well as collaborative features that enable multiple users to edit and work on documents in real time.
Quote:
Quip is a modern word processor that enables you to create beautiful documents on any device, including the iPad, iPhone, and the desktop. It combines documents and messages into a single chat-like "thread" of updates -- making collaboration easy.
TechCrunch has more on Quip:
Quote:
So what makes Quip different?

First it adapts documents to whatever size or shape screen you're working on. If you're on an iPhone, an embedded photo could appear full-width, but on an iPad it would appear on the right surrounded by text.

The collaboration tools might be the most exciting part. You can share any document with another user, and when they first open it you'll get a notification. Taylor says this lets you jump in and walk them through the doc using Quip's internal messaging system. "It feels like sitting at a desk with someone around a piece of paper" Taylor tells me.
With a free membership, Quip allows up to five users to download and collaborate through the app, with capabilities such as offline access to documents, shared folders and cross-platform syncing through its official website. Quip also offers a premium business membership for $12 a month per user and enables 250 users to collaborate at once, and includes additional features like remote device management and single sign on capabilities.

Quip is available as a free download on iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mobile Word Processor 'Quip' Launches for iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Razeus
macrumors 68040

This has failed product written all over it.
Razeus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
iheartiphone4
macrumors member

Sounds like google docs. And google docs is free!
iheartiphone4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Frankly, any alternative to Pages is fine by me.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:35 AM   #5
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartiphone4 View Post
Sounds like google docs. And google docs is free!
And clunky, at least on the desktop. (I've never tried it on iOS. During the one time I needed it, Google did not let mobile safari edit.)

I'll give a try to Quip if there is a way to export documents to a universal format. I wouldn't want to lose my documents if these guys don't make it in the long run.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
And clunky, at least on the desktop. (I've never tried it on iOS. During the one time I needed it, Google did not let mobile safari edit.)

I'll give a try to Quip if there is a way to export documents to a universal format. I wouldn't want to lose my documents if these guys don't make it in the long run.
And that's the probably. The only export is .pdf. Doesn't even export to .docx.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
bwilfong
macrumors newbie

email and registration

I don't want to give out my email and to have to register just to try out a new app. I get enough junk mail now. App Deleted.
bwilfong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilfong View Post
I don't want to give out my email and to have to register just to try out a new app. I get enough junk mail now. App Deleted.
Same here. Forcing me to enter my email address first before I can even see the app is a big no-no in my book.
gatearray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It's amazing how many companies think collaboration tools are some segment they need to embark on and try to dominate. This looks great, and I'm already downloading to check it out, but man, there's just so many of them that want to be the standard.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:41 PM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

I'll stick with Office.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:56 PM   #11
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Sounds promising, but one can't help but wonder, how long before some of those free features, migrate over to their premium $12/month membership counterpart?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:06 PM   #12
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Sounds like an unfocused nightmare.
e-coli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 07:07 PM   #13
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I rarely diss a product launch. When I do, I try to discover which if the Three Monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, do no evil) are disobeyed.

For this one, my take is Do No Evil. After the NSA scandal, people are taking their shared docs off line more and more. Not said much, but cloud use is not at the same acceptance rate.

What cost advantage of this is over a shared folder and desktop? Unless they are doing massive data mining on the docs written and selling off the demographics, I don't see a solvency here.
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion