Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I have an 8gb iPod touch 4g. It still works but its pretty slow and lags a lot because it has an old A4 chip. I also have barely any room left on (last time I checked I had 37 megabytes free on it). So I was considering purchasing a new one, but didn't know if I should wait for the 6th gen or get the 5th gen or just stick with my 4th gen. I was kinda hesitant to get the 5th gen because it doesn't have a brightness sensor which is weird in my opinion.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I have an 8gb iPod touch 4g. It still works but its pretty slow and lags a lot because it has an old A4 chip. I also have barely any room left on (last time I checked I had 37 megabytes free on it). So I was considering purchasing a new one, but didn't know if I should wait for the 6th gen or get the 5th gen or just stick with my 4th gen. I was kinda hesitant to get the 5th gen because it doesn't have a brightness sensor which is weird in my opinion.
Yeah, there isnt gonna be a 6th gen for a while I suppose, so update if you see it necessary. Or just get a 4th gen with more space.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
The lack of brightness sensor doesn't bother me because the 5g is my first iOS device, so I've never used one that actually has a sensor. I really don't notice it that much. When the screen is too bright, I turn down the brightness. When it's too dark, I turn it up. Doesn't take more than a few seconds, and it's worth it to be this thin and light.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I would buy one of the new ones if you can. They are really, really sweet.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Only wait for the 6th gen if you want to get the latest hardware in a 16gb size. It will most likely be coming out in October. The 32gb and 64gb will most likely only be getting minor updates (color etc.) for the 6th gen (I doubt the ambient light sensor will be returning).

As others have stated, the IPT 5 is amazing and I wouldn't hesitate in getting one.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Just updated my slow POS 4th gen iPod Touch for the 5th gen. Man is this thing so much faster. I thought that the 4th gen screen looked good but the 5th gen looks much better. I also love how I can use 5 Ghz as I have 69 routers in my neighborhood and even just streaming music on 2.4 Ghz it will drop out.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I would upgrade. You get the A5 chip which still has some life left in it (apple is currently selling five A5 devices and only two A6 devices.). Its snappy, has a gorgeous IPS display, solid camera and all of the latest iOS features. A solid buy for $299 with 32gb of storage. We likely wont see an updated iPod touch until September or October if that. Apple went two years before updating the 4th gen. The 5th gen touch is a solid device that will last you quite a while.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Yep, get it. I always had the brightness sensor turned off on my 2nd or 4th gen, so I don't miss it.

--Eric

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Don't wait for something new to be released, except possibly just before something like WWDC, or just before Apple announces a media event. When 6th gen is released, you could again wait for the 7th gen and never buy anything new.

The question isn't which generation, the question is how much money does it cost, and how much additional enjoyment will a new iPod give you. You could also look at alternatives: Refurbished iPod, an iPad mini, or in countries that are not ruled by phone companies, look on eBay for a used iPhone 4 or 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.