Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
So I feel like the MBA (and all Macs) are just about due for some big leap.

Maybe a touchscreen. Maybe a new form factor that would allow it to be used in multiple configurations. Maybe some new wireless charging technology that would allow itself and/or an iDevice from being charged without any cords.

I feel like the MBA has now kind of reached theoretical limit, without making some drastic changes. What do you think could be in its future?

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Hopefully they are going to switch to IPS displays but I don't like the idea of a retina display because of the major negative impact on battery life and the chassis would get much warmer.

unknownfps

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
2014 MBA will probably be a spec bump, and definitely faster SSD but nothing major.

2015 MBA will have Retina display thanks to the next intel cycle of "tick-tock" processor which will bring "full-day" battery life and faster SSD.

In some years, the weight will be lighter due to new parts weighting less but the model designs might not change.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Apple will never include a retina display in the Air until they can differentiate the Air from the Pro enough to make people see a clear difference. The only difference right now (apart from the retina screen) is that the Pro has a better CPU and a few more ports but that's about it.

The Pro comes standard with more RAM but since you can configure the Air with as much RAM as the Pro, that's not really a selling-point.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Next for the entry level Air is probably a high quality IPS display at the same resolutions using the same reduced-glare glass construction as the retina MBP displays. No touchscreen.

Now that they've gone the route of advertising really high battery life on the Airs I don't think they would compromise that by going with retina displays yet.

Perhaps there would be a separate MBA retina model at some point, maybe even as a replacement to the 13" rMBP.

If Apple does get into the convertible / touchscreen notebook arena I'm 99% sure it will be with a future version of iOS, not a version of OSX badly retrofitted for touchscreens.

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I think 2014 will be the year to buy/upgrade:

- new, smaller chassis w/ smaller bezel
- IGZO display
- DDR4 memory
- 15 hr battery
- 3-5oz lighter

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I have never agreed with change for the sake of change. That being said, there are still areas where the Air can be improved without dramatic (and perhaps unnecessary) change:

-Reduced bezel/form factor. A smaller 13" model with the same screen size would be quite appealing.

-Additional thickness. Some of you may be wondering why this could be a good thing, and for me the reason is simple: to give additional depth for the keyboard and trackpad to provide better tactile feedback, and overcome the currently inferior versions in use today. Keep it light, and you don't have to make it "fat", but function over form in this case.

-A better quality screen. This is obvious, and it will come eventually, it's really more of a matter of when rather than if.

-Perhaps an additional thunderbolt port or maybe even a dedicated HDMI port, although this isn't as important.

The bezel/form factor and screen thing can be used as a "re-model" by itself, and probably will come within the next couple of years.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I don't think it will go through anything too major, but if I had to pick.. I'd say they should go cosmetic. Maybe try one in black.. or even change up the design itself. But then again, this machine is pretty awesome the way, it is.. so if it's not broke, don't fix it. Besides, I've had three MBA's now (I'm a sucker for upgrades), and I think the next one I buy may actually be the one I keep. The only thing about my 11" MBA I wanted different was more battery life, and that's now been achieved. After I sell my 2012, I'll be snatching up one of those bad boys... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.