Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
Hy guys!

Ok, think I know the answer, but need your advice. Currently I have a MacBook Pro 2011 that houses all of my iTunes files via external hard drive. Now once the new iMacs are released, I want to have matching libraries. I have a thunderbolt seagate 3TB external hdd ready to go with the library files already loaded to use with my iMac time machine and iTunes. So finally the question, will iTunes copy over to my iMac via the migration process from my macbook pro or will I need to approach this process differently?

Sorry for writing a book :cool:

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Hy guys!

Ok, think I know the answer, but need your advice. Currently I have a MacBook Pro 2011 that houses all of my iTunes files via external hard drive. Now once the new iMacs are released, I want to have matching libraries. I have a thunderbolt seagate 3TB external hdd ready to go with the library files already loaded to use with my iMac time machine and iTunes. So finally the question, will iTunes copy over to my iMac via the migration process from my macbook pro or will I need to approach this process differently?

Sorry for writing a book :cool:

Slightly more complicated than that. Instructions.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
It might be easier to use the Shared feature in iTunes. Then, open the Shared library on the new computer and select "Items Not in My Library." Then, drag them over. Repeat as needed for new additions to either machine. This works great between my and my wife's computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.