Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:54 PM   #851
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Right. Nothing to worry about. Just keep feeding Google your data and hope for the best.

I'd rather be paranoid than naive.
And feeding all your data to Apple is better?

That sounds na´ve....
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable
AidenShaw is offline   2
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:04 PM   #852
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
And feeding all your data to Apple is better?

That sounds na´ve....
IMO feeding less data to Apple is better than feeding more data to Google. What's naive about that?
BaldiMac is offline   2
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:45 PM   #853
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Right. Nothing to worry about. Just keep feeding Google your data and hope for the best.

I'd rather be paranoid than naive.
Jesus, man. You're like a broken record playing some obnoxious kids songs.

There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?

I'll start being paranoid the moment Google gives me a reason to be. That moment almost came during the whole smartphone tracking scenario, which Google and Apple both were guilty of. They were slapped down fairly quickly for doing something so bone headed, and things went back to relative normalcy thereafter.

I'll tell you this, though. If Google weren't in the smartphone OS business, I doubt you'd care one half of a quarter of a crap about whether they're tracking you or not.
Renzatic is offline   2
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:47 PM   #854
subsonix
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?
False dilemma.
subsonix is offline   1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:48 PM   #855
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Jesus, man. You're like a broken record playing some obnoxious kids songs.

There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?

I'll start being paranoid the moment Google gives me a reason to be. That moment almost came during the whole smartphone tracking scenario, which Google and Apple both were guilty of. They were slapped down fairly quickly for doing something so bone headed, and things went back to relative normalcy thereafter.

I'll tell you this, though. If Google weren't in the smartphone OS business, I doubt you'd care one half of a quarter of a crap about whether they're tracking you or not.
probably loved all the stuff Google brought to the iPhone 1
uknowimright is offline   0
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:56 PM   #856
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
False dilemma.
I swear, it's like some of you read a paragraph out of an argument book and now you all go around pointing out potential fallacies because you think you're all masters of logical arguments or something.

And no, that's not an ad hominem.

Also RRRRRGHGHGHGHGHG! :bashes head on desk:
Renzatic is offline   0
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:59 PM   #857
subsonix
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I swear, it's like some of you read a paragraph out of an argument book and now you all go around point out potential fallacies because you think you're all masters of logical arguments or something.
It's not a potential fallacy, you present two alternatives and give the option to chose either one, discarding the idea that there may be a whole range of other arguments in between and so on. It's pretty clear cut, but it's funny to point it out in case someone misses it for some reason. You do not need to be any kind of master to spot this, your alternatives are a) paranoid, b) idiot. Chose one!

Last edited by subsonix; Nov 26, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
subsonix is offline   1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #858
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
It's not a potential fallacy, you present two alternatives and give the option to chose either one, discarding the idea that there may be a whole range of other arguments in between and so on. It's pretty clear cut, but it's funny to point it out in case someone misses it for some reason.
You'd be right if I those were choices I was trying to present as valid to the whole argument. Instead, I was calling him out for being overly dramatic.

So ha! :P
Renzatic is offline   0
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:41 PM   #859
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I'll tell you this, though. If Google weren't in the smartphone OS business, I doubt you'd care one half of a quarter of a crap about whether they're tracking you or not.
Sure. Whatever you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Jesus, man. You're like a broken record playing some obnoxious kids songs.

There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?
And who is the one being "overly dramatic" here?
LagunaSol is offline   0
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:47 PM   #860
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread is temporarily closed in order to allow cooler heads to prevail and all the off-topic bickering to be removed. Please refrain from it when it's reopened. If you need a refresher on how to discuss topics, please stop by the Rules for Appropriate Debate. Thank you.
dejo is offline   2

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phil schiller's keynote hbksabhi Current Events 2 Oct 3, 2013 02:23 AM
'Which?' Tests Phil Schiller's iPad Mini Weight Comparison Claims MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 87 Oct 31, 2012 12:00 PM
Phil Schiller comparing iPad Mini to Nexus 7 mcfinch iPad 91 Oct 30, 2012 06:46 PM
Phil Schiller's iPad mini pitch was all wrong Rogifan iPad 34 Oct 25, 2012 03:08 AM
Does the upcoming $99 Nexus Tablet factor into Apple's decision on iPad Mini Pricing? Kblakeshot iPad 3 Oct 17, 2012 11:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC