Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

View Poll Results: The replacement to Windows will be...
Android for Personal Computers 4 21.05%
A Linux OS 2 10.53%
Official Mac OS X for PCs 2 10.53%
Other 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:23 PM   #26
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Mods - please close this thread.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:29 PM   #27
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
I think we have more worst one ... As a industry discussion it runs not too bad.

What's your opinion on the topic ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Nov 6, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:34 PM   #28
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Scooters
Segways .
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:31 PM   #29
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Segways .
The future is here!

mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:42 AM   #30
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Mods - please delete this user.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 AM   #31
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
You don't understand what Microsoft provides if all you can think of is Windows.

Enterprise is where Microsoft's bread is buttered and until Linux or Apple can provide the wide variety of products that Microsoft does there is little chance of uprooting it even in the case of Microsoft bankruptcy.
Most of what Microsoft provides to the enterprise market is solutions to manage its Windows desktop solutions. AD, Exchange, etc... they're not unique in the market.

If Windows were gone, no need for GPOs, no need for MSIs, no need for Terminal Services, Exchange can be replaced by tons of other groupware solutions, etc...

Aside from that, Microsoft's enterprise offerings are pretty sub-par. Microsoft Cluster Service is crap compared to things like Symantec VCS, HP MC/Serviceguard, SteelEye's LifeKeeper. SQL Server can't really beat Oracle for bigger installations and for smaller ones, PostgreSQL and MySQL are definately the cheaper and easier to manage choices. Let's not even go near IIS, Apache simply kills it.

As for internal tools and software development, J2EE is still the biggest name out there, .NET doesn't even come close and its future is now even uncertain.

Anyway, Windows will be suffering a bit, even in enterprise, in the near future. Ever hear of BYOD ? That's the new trend. Enterprises don't want to bother users with standardized tools. Bring Your Own Device, whatever you're comfortable with. And if we look at the consumer market, Apple is pretty much the choice of what people are comfortable with at home. I bring my Mac in to work often as I much prefer working on that than my provided HP EliteBook.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:44 PM   #32
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Horse and buggy.

What's old is new again. I'll dust off the dumb terminals and fire up the mainframe.

I'm seeing a trend here. Regression in the English language, personal transportation and computing. Slide rulers will be all the rage when my grand kids start college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
Interesting way of looking at that. And you know what, that's scary to see how true that is.
It just goes to show that the pioneers of computers knew the best way to do it. It was just that the hardware technology was no where near it needed to be at that time.
Companies like Microsoft, IBM, VMWare, Intel and Citrix knew that the hardware technology would eventually catch up and they invested deeply in client-server power computing many years ago. The idea of running server-side applications on a "thin client" over the Internet has probably existed since the time that the Internet, or should I say high-speed networking, was being developed.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:47 PM   #33
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
Tech Decks
Pogo Stick.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion