Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iono11200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Looking for some advice. I want to purchase a new iMac. Less than a year ago I purchased a new Dell Desktop and more or less spec'd it to the limit. Now a year later I'd like to get rid of it and get an iMac, but I dont wanna just give the damn thing away. Is anybody else in this boat? Suggestions?

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Looking for some advice. I want to purchase a new iMac. Less than a year ago I purchased a new Dell Desktop and more or less spec'd it to the limit. Now a year later I'd like to get rid of it and get an iMac, but I dont wanna just give the damn thing away. Is anybody else in this boat? Suggestions?

Unfortunately with PCs after 6 months its basically either keep it or sell it for as much as you can, which won't be much because PCs loose their value so quickly.

It's too bad but I would say sell the PC as soon as you can.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Attach it to your TV and turn it into a media center/HTPC. Or convert it into a file server. We live in an age where computers can be used to do just about anything, so give it thought. You might be surprised at what uses you can find for it.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Sell it on eBay, you'll get a decent amount for it. Just make sure you wipe the drive and do insurance and signature confirmation when you ship it.

apolkowski

macrumors regular
vortexbox

If you like listening to the music, you can set it up as a Vortexbox server (vortexbox.org). It is a good tool to convert easily your CDs to FLAC looseless format and it is recognized as a media sever by modern TVs and amplituners with net functionality.
BTW it also does converting DVDs to MKV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.