Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
So reading on another of forums it seems the new 27" with the 680MX whilst gaming makes alot of noise

The reason I didn't buy the rBMP is the fan noise during gaming

My 2010 iMac is silent, is the 2012 27" that bad now ?

I hope not

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Fan noise is incredibly subjective and two people will never have the same thing to say about it, it's really best to see for yourself.

Well my 2010 iMac is slight.

Compared to a MBP or rMBP when gaming is a whole world of difference

Every iMac i've seen or heard is slight.

So is the 2012 27" with a 680MX GPU. I think its quite clear and not that subjective

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Well my 2010 iMac is slight.

Compared to a MBP or rMBP when gaming is a whole world of difference

Every iMac i've seen or heard is slight.

So is the 2012 27" with a 680MX GPU. I think its quite clear and not that subjective

If that's the case then since some people already have complained, everyone will complain, and therefore you have your answer. It seems like you were looking to see if somebody felt differently though (and I'm sure others will), so it sure seems subjective to me. My recommendation to hear one for yourself and be the judge of the matter still stands.... or order something you'll potentially be unhappy with, idc.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
If that's the case then since some people already have complained, everyone will complain, and therefore you have your answer. It seems like you were looking to see if somebody felt differently though (and I'm sure others will), so it sure seems subjective to me. My recommendation to hear one for yourself and be the judge of the matter still stands.... or order something you'll potentially be unhappy with, idc.

That is why I posted this question to ask people not just one persons view ( yours ), idcuc

----------

It's very loud when playing GPU intensive game

really , thats a shame and doesn't sound good :(

Is it on par with say a MBP ( LAPTOP )

I once had a air 13" and that sounded like a jet engine when playing games

That was with a HD4000 GPU on a 2012 model

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
That is why I posted this question to ask people not just one persons view ( yours ), idcuc

I mean, really all you can do to get factual information on the matter is take a sound level meter and compare it from a 2010 iMac and a '12 and measure the dBA while gaming.... but the actual volume level isn't always what irritates people the most, but rather the whine of the fan... My late '11 mbp is exponentially worse than my rMBP in such regards, to where I perceive the rMBP as fairly quiet when gaming, but obviously others still would fine the rMBP to be too noisy.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
There is nothing whatsoever subjective about the question of fan noise. Either you hear it or you don't. My 13 inch MBA's fan is very loud when gaming. My 2010 iMac isn't as loud, but is audible. Anyone expecting it to be silent or "whisper quiet" while gaming on the new iMac is going to be disappointed.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I am sure iMac will be quieter than rMBP GIVEN THE SAME graphic quality and resolution. The thing that puts GT 650M to its extreme can handled by 680MX easily, and fans in iMac are bigger. But with different settings, it's hard to say.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
Mine has been very quiet when playing games for an hour or so

But why bother? You will turn up your speaker while playing anyway

studiojackson

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
quiet during intensive renderings

Mine has been very quiet when playing games for an hour or so

But why bother? You will turn up your speaker while playing anyway

I have done some fairly complicated renderings that had my macbook pro screaming. The imac is super quiet.

ottawaP5

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I find that it sounds about the same as my late 2009 iMac. Heat dissipation seems more efficient though.

noaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Seoul
so, heat dissipation has been improved a lot,
but at the same time the new imac 27' with 680mx makes as much noise as MBPr with 650m.

am i getting it right??:confused::confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.