Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a base 2011 mini + 8GB of RAM. Performance is OK, but I'm used to SSD on my W7 box, and I think it would be fun to upgrade my mini.

I've been temped by the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, which B&H now has on sale for $230.

Since I would never need more than 256GB of local storage, I could just run the SSD as the single drive. My media is stored on a NAS. In other words, I wouldn't need the data doubler kit, or reuse the 500GB drive in the mini.

Here's my question: What would be the most efficient way to re-install Mountain Lion for a fresh drive? I don't really have much on my current mini, just a few programs and maybe 50GB in iTunes. I do back up via Time Machine. Seems like either Time Machine or some type of cloning software would work... but (coming from my Windows days) I'm always a bit hesitant to just copy over (old to new) directly, in fear of having a bunch of "junk" come along with it. Changes maybe from programs long deleted, and other baggage. A clean OS install always seems to be the most effective thing, in my experience.

So what's the best way to get that "fresh out of the box" Mountain Lion experience, while still keeping a dozen or so existing applications + iTunes?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Use Internet Recovery to format SSD and install ML. Then migrate programs and data from from Time Machine.

No benefit from using Recovery Assistant to pick and choose programs/settings vs. an "image" restore via Time Machine?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I guess recovery assistant is what I meant. When you start up the newly installed ML for the 1st time, you can recover from time machine.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
They are the same thing. I would recommend doing it from Time Machine right away so you can avoid creating another profile, which you would then have to delete.

When you install ML, at the setup point, you have the option to restore from another Mac, Time Machine backup, or set up the computer anew. Just choose TM then and you're set to go.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
They are the same thing. I would recommend doing it from Time Machine right away so you can avoid creating another profile, which you would then have to delete.

When you install ML, at the setup point, you have the option to restore from another Mac, Time Machine backup, or set up the computer anew. Just choose TM then and you're set to go.

I see. I thought there was another option "Recovery Assistant" where I could selectively pull off programs and/or settings from my old drive (in a USB dock). Wouldn't that be the same as restoring from "another Mac"?

I'm not trying to overthink or over complicate this process, I just want to make sure I'm not dragging a bunch of system file junk from the current drive, to the new SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.