Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merv'sG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Merv Stent and been a very happy Mac User since 2008, buying my first (second hand) PowerMac G5 Quad Core system to replace my faithful Amiga 4000T. I have been really happy with it's performance then and and think it's still a very fast and capable machine. But as you all know Apple and all major software company's have drop support for the PPC architecture for Intel. I have been using my PowerMac G5 for all my daily need's. But after buying an IPhone 5 I had to learn the hard way ITune's no longer support PPC. And that was the final nail in the coffin for me. Can anyone recommend a Mac Pro I am willing to spent $2000 for one second hand. But I want it to use all the latest software and be much faster than my current setup. I want to use all my old
peripherals like Two Apple Cinema 30 & 23 inch, firewire HD etc!

Here are the specs of my machine-

Model Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 4
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 16 GB

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500:

Chipset Model: Quadro FX 4500
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: SLOT-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x009d
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 2149
Displays:
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600

NVIDIA GeForce 6600:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: SLOT-4
PCIe Lane Width: x4
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0141
Revision ID: 0x00a4
ROM Revision: 2149
Displays:
Cinema HD Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Display Connector:

DSCF2114.JPG
Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Merv Stent and been a very happy Mac User since 2008, buying my first (second hand) PowerMac G5 Quad Core system to replace my faithful Amiga 4000T. I have been really happy with it's performance then and and think it's still a very fast and capable machine. But as you all know Apple and all major software company's have drop support for the PPC architecture for Intel. I have been using my PowerMac G5 for all my daily need's. But after buying an IPhone 5 I had to learn the hard way ITune's no longer support PPC. And that was the final nail in the coffin for me. Can anyone recommend a Mac Pro I am willing to spent $2000 for one second hand. But I want it to use all the latest software and be much faster than my current setup. I want to use all my old
peripherals like Two Apple Cinema 30 & 23 inch, firewire HD etc!

View attachment 398344
Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

My recommendation if your not going to wait for a new one is a refurbished quad. They run 1819 or 2139 and have a warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Let me just say though you will not be overwhelmed at the performance increase GeekBench figures or not. That quad MP will be roughy 3 times as powerful but in day to day tasks it's not noticeable. The up side is it'll be much quieter.

Please don't sell your quad, that computer will never happen again! I have one the only difference being I had 10GB of RAM. I sold it and the gentleman retuned it because it was "laggy" I took that as a sign, I'll just not part with it anymore.

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi MervsG5. Glad to know you're enjoying your PowerMac G5. It's still a good machine. If you are able to get another Mac Pro, keep your PowerMac G5 like what GermanyChris suggested. The hardware materials Apple used in those years are of higher quality. Just use your PowerMac G5 as your backup. I still have a PowerMac G5 2ghz dual processor and still works fine as my backup. Have fun with your G5 and enjoy your upcoming Mac Pro.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Absolutely love my G5 Quad and have a Mac Pro 6-Core... Everyone is right.. the G5 Quad was built very nicely in the end. Please we recommend you don't sell that machine!!! Keep PowerPC alive!!

Sorry, just had to comment on the greatness of the Quad. Most of the time the Quad is very quiet here and only when I am doing light to moderate video work and or encoding does it get a bit loud, but in the end she is silenced very quickly.

The Late October 2005-2006 G5 dual core and Quad-core were and still are fine machines for everyday use. Don't get rid of it!

My recommendation if your not going to wait for a new one is a refurbished quad. They run 1819 or 2139 and have a warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Let me just say though you will not be overwhelmed at the performance increase GeekBench figures or not. That quad MP will be roughy 3 times as powerful but in day to day tasks it's not noticeable. The up side is it'll be much quieter.

Please don't sell your quad, that computer will never happen again! I have one the only difference being I had 10GB of RAM. I sold it and the gentleman retuned it because it was "laggy" I took that as a sign, I'll just not part with it anymore.

Merv'sG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Absolutely love my G5 Quad and have a Mac Pro 6-Core... Everyone is right.. the G5 Quad was built very nicely in the end. Please we recommend you don't sell that machine!!! Keep PowerPC alive!!

Sorry, just had to comment on the greatness of the Quad. Most of the time the Quad is very quiet here and only when I am doing light to moderate video work and or encoding does it get a bit loud, but in the end she is silenced very quickly.

The Late October 2005-2006 G5 dual core and Quad-core were and still are fine machines for everyday use. Don't get rid of it!

Hello All,

Yes I do want to keep the PPC Dream alive and I love my PowerMac G5 Quad Core to bits, but it's getting very hard as most new software has stop development on these machines. I really need to run the latest version ITunes to download my songs on my IPhone 5! That's why I am looking at emulation of Windows XP on the Mac.

I don't know the rest off the world, but here in Australia people can't give these machine away and the prices remain very low. For example mid last year on EBay I bought a very souped up PowerMac G5 Quad Core with 8 Gig of Ram and 2x 1TB hard drives NVidia Quadro FX 4500 GFX Card and wait for it a mint condition Apple 30" inch Cinema Display for only $448 AUD which was a steal. I kept the monitor and gave the PowerMac to my brother which he loves. But at such low prices it gives me very little incentive to keep the machine. But I know I am looking at something like a 8 to 12 core Mac Pro machine other wise I wouldn't be happy!

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.