Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'd buy one if it wasn't for the stupid fact that Apple moronically made the device so thin, that they compromised the ambient light sensor which is a very useful function in my opinion (saves battery life).

I was also upset when I heard that Apple eliminated the light sensor but, now that I have a IPT5, I don't miss the light sensor at all. The battery life and everything else in the IPT5 is so much better then my old Touch. I can't see anyone wanting an IPT4 after really using an IPT5.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
the 5th generation is a pretty amazing device, I say go for it. I am very happy with that 400 buck purchase.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hello everyone. I have been thinking of getting the New iPod Touch 5th Generation. I have the 4th Generation model since 2010. Its still good, but now it is getting sluggish. I was thinking about getting the new iPod Touch 5th Generation, but its already 5 months old. Should I get the 5th Generation, or should I wait for the 6th Generation? Please Reply ASAP.
Some people think it might be updated real soon, most people seem to think September/October and some think Apple will skip a year.

The question is how long do you want to wait for the next iPod Touch to come out. If you can't wait, just get it. If you can wait until October, then wait.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Actually Ipod touch updates every year. In 2011, they added the white version of Gen 4. Though i doubt they could do anything with it this year judging how competitorless it is in the market.

I bought that peace of crap white iPod Touch which was the worst purchase ever. Slow, buggy and almost anything I tried to do in apps it would crash. I upgraded to the 5th gen which is much better. I though the screen on the 4th gen was good but wow the 5th gen screen blows it away and when I look at my 4th gen it now gives me a headache.

I mainly got the 5th gen for the lightning connector and dual band 5 Ghz which I need to use because with about 60 WiFi networks in my area 2.4 Ghz would not cut it no more even streaming just low bit rate music.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I bought that peace of crap white iPod Touch which was the worst purchase ever. Slow, buggy and almost anything I tried to do in apps it would crash. I upgraded to the 5th gen which is much better. I though the screen on the 4th gen was good but wow the 5th gen screen blows it away and when I look at my 4th gen it now gives me a headache.

I mainly got the 5th gen for the lightning connector and dual band 5 Ghz which I need to use because with about 60 WiFi networks in my area 2.4 Ghz would not cut it no more even streaming just low bit rate music.

I agree with you though, Ipod touch 4 should be discontinued once they released ios 6 or that apple shouldn't even try to include it in this updates.

256 ram is too low, but know what? They still has the 16GB at the store at this moment for whatever reason. It is only good for music now that it shipped with 6.1.2. They should have brought in 16GB touch 5 at 249 or sumthing.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
If you want to use it just for music and you don't care about going online with it then you're better off with the Nano. Even the newest Nano which I also have is faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.