Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodyone200

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Delay in hearing phone

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but I didn't find anything. Anyway, when I receive a call and slide to answer if my phone is locked or pressing the green button if my phone is unlocked there is always this 1 or 2 second delay before I can hear the person who called me and before they can hear me. It's weird so I was hoping somebody has an answer or a suggestion as to what should I do about it. Thank you for reading guys

I believe that when a phone call is made it is first routed to a national government database which is the reason why you have to say hello twice. all in the name of terrorism. Another one of those Big Brother is watching, and now he is listening.:(

----------

Yep, happens on incoming calls only, Verizon iphone 5. Annoying.

It also happens on landlines.

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Its been more than a year since this discussion started and yet the problem still persists. Came back to ios after about a year with a iphone 4s. Randomly face this problem..very irritating. However i have noticed that it seems to only happen when the iphone is woken by an incoming call after being in sleep (screen off) for longer than say 15 mins. Maybe the cpu take longer to come out of deep sleep mode and that is causing the audio delay once the incoming call is picked up...Did anyone ever manage to find a soultion?

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Pretty sure this is just the handoff of the cellular chip going from your primary data network to the calling network.

IE: att iphone 5 calls coming in your on LTE you answer you drop off LTE (only supports data) phone switches to 4G/3G network for call/data (att). End call (watch) takes about 2 seconds for the switch back to LTE. Pretty sure as these more advanced cellular chips develop more this lag time will decrease.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Not only smartphones, but my Verizon flip phone (Manufacture-Samsung) also had this short delay, and had to say hello twice.

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Noticed another thing..the lag happened on an incoming call last night and i think it continued for a good 10 secs as the person calling couldnot hear me clearly. Anyone experienced this? Or is it only a 2 to 3 sec lag?

I read somewhere that replacing the sim card (getting a new one) fixed this issue for some of the users. Will try that today (considering my existing sim card is like 6 yrs old)..I am on a GSM (2G) network though..lets c

Last edited:

podant

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Strange Lag/2 second delay when answering an incoming call

I've been experiencing this on my LAN line, not only on my cell phone. So that would indicate big brother to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've been experiencing this on my LAN line, not only on my cell phone. So that would indicate big brother to me.
Yup, they are so advanced that they have to listen in on the direct lines and cause a delay that anyone can hear, that's some secretive stuff. ;-)

dawideksl

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Poland
i'm sorry, that i'm renewing this thread, i have the same issue on the iphone 5s. on iOS 7.0 it was good, since 7.1 and now on ios 8 i have the answering incoming calls delay. What the hell is this?

tvzz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
My iphone se ios version 11.31 has the problem but did not exist prior to ios upgrade to 11.31 so it is a s/w issue using comsumer cellure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.