Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
Just delete these two files.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

If I delete those files, will the separate Display/System sleep timers come back? Or will it just do what this button does?

px9o+

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If I delete those files, will the separate Display/System sleep timers come back? Or will it just do what this button does?

No, the separate timers will not come back by deleting those files. The idea of deleting those files is it would reset any of the pmset command line options being discussed in this thread. I am not positive clicking restore defaults would do that.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009

It might help if you use the files from a 2012 MBA instead. I could provide you both. However, only at your own risk! :eek:

EHLO

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
The problem I'm having with my 2013 MBP 13" is that when `Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off' is unchecked, sleep is set to 1 as seen with pmset.
This causes the system to fall asleep if there is no activity for 1 minute, even with displaysleep set to 10.

Observed behavior;
`Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off' unchecked and displaysleep 10 -> sleep 1 (system falls asleep if there is no activity for 1 minute)
`Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off' checked and displaysleep 10 -> sleep 0 (system doesn't ever sleep)

I would expect the correct behavior should be;
`Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off' unchecked and displaysleep 10 -> sleep 10 (system falls asleep if there is no activity for 10 minutes)
`Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off' checked and displaysleep 10 -> sleep 0 (system doesn't ever sleep)

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
It does help to set the sleep timer to zero with:
pmset sleep 0

the display will go blank, but the MBA will still download files or compile a project, whatever.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Ok. I did a little more digging. If you want the old behaviour back, simply do the following: Open System Preferences and set the display timeout to 5 minutes (or whatever you prefer). Then, set the sleep timeout to 30 minutes: sudo pmset sleep 30. Be sure to do this both when connected to ac and on battery.

David AW

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Put Screen to Sleep

Ummmm ... that doesn't revert to the old style. It just prevents the computer from sleeping. I tried it on my MBA 13

There currently is NO option to have the display blank out while the computer is still working - in order to save energy. You can't even do that with a screen saver anymore because there is no blank screen saver . :(

Try Control + Shift + power button

This puts the screen to sleep.

DW

sandr0a

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Hey guys! I have same problem, I bought my MBA 3 weeks ago, and after 5 days screen started to shut off, it happens almost every 7 or 8 hours. I think its apple's fault, as I saw many people having this problem.

stiffy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
edit "/S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/Your-Mac-Model.plist"

find:
<key>UnifiedSleepSliderPref</key>
<true/>

replace:
<false/>

rebuild kext cache and reboot. :p:p

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
edit "/S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/Your-Mac-Model.plist"

find:
<true/>

replace:
<false/>

Thanks for this! Exactly what I was looking for.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

find:
<true/>

replace:
<false/>

How do you find Your-Mac-Model? I know I have a MacBookAir6,2, but how do you translate that into the long hex string that's part of these .plist filenames?

Antonino D'Allura

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020

find:
<true/>

replace:
<false/>

Hello! Thank you for this useful tip, please can you explain how to rebuild kext cache?
Toni

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.