Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jagadis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
My wife bought me a new 11" MBA for my birthday two weeks ago and its been absolutely great. I also ended up with a few Apple Store gift cards from other family members after my wife told them to get them for me so that I could get some accessories :) I headed over to the Apple Store today and ended up purchasing one of their new 2TB Airport Time Capsules. All I can say is...HOLY CRAP!

I'm now getting wireless download speeds of 76 Mbps in my house which is just about identical to the speed I get from jacking my other computers directly into my cable modem. I was kinda hesitant at first to purchase this unit because I already had an Airport Express in the house and 2TB is way too much Time Machine backup for a 256GB MBA. That being said, the speed of this thing alone is probably worth the bump up to at least the new Airport Extreme and an extra $100 on top of that to add the 2TB of network backup is actually a good deal. The other bonus is that I'm getting a full 4 bars from anywhere in the house.

Very pleased. The new MBA and the new Airport Time Capsule are a killer combo. Thanks Apple!

Jordan.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
My wife bought me a new 11" MBA for my birthday two weeks ago and its been absolutely great. I also ended up with a few Apple Store gift cards from other family members after my wife told them to get them for me so that I could get some accessories :) I headed over to the Apple Store today and ended up purchasing one of their new 2TB Airport Time Capsules. All I can say is...HOLY CRAP!

I'm now getting wireless download speeds of 76 Mbps in my house which is just about identical to the speed I get from jacking my other computers directly into my cable modem. I was kinda hesitant at first to purchase this unit because I already had an Airport Express in the house and 2TB is way too much Time Machine backup for a 256GB MBA. That being said, the speed of this thing alone is probably worth the bump up to at least the new Airport Extreme and an extra $100 on top of that to add the 2TB of network backup is actually a good deal. The other bonus is that I'm getting a full 4 bars from anywhere in the house.

Very pleased. The new MBA and the new Airport Time Capsule are a killer combo. Thanks Apple!

Jordan.

Sounding like a typical apple fanboy and you should :) as we all are :)

Perhaps, i am going to dump another $300 to get the 2TB Airport Extreme soon then :) but only if they remove the 2TB out of it and offer a slimmer-lighter-smaller version of it ---> to simply boost the 802.11ac connectivity throughout my home ....as with Apple i love their ultra-portable, slim machines that i can easily maintain, carry and travel with !

Last edited:

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
My old Linksys gateway is being frustratingly slow with my new MBA. You guys might have just convinced me to upgrade to an Airport. But tell me... Is there a particular Airport-friendly cable modem you would recommend I use?

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
My old Linksys gateway is being frustratingly slow with my new MBA. You guys might have just convinced me to upgrade to an Airport. But tell me... Is there a particular Airport-friendly cable modem you would recommend I use?

dont matter

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Very good! I'll be taking care of it soon.

I just recalled why i chose 512 SSD over a 270$ 2TB Airport Extreme:

1: 512 SSD = ofcourse internally in air - so ultra-portability wit no worries to upgrade storage

2: Airport Extreme = is only a BACKUP and CANNOT be used as a regular external HDD...i know you can plug in any additional external HDD to it via USB 2.0 but that DEFEATS the purpose of existing 2TB to be only used for backups..for us as Mac users, is time-machine the only method on the planet to back-up data if in the worst case, one day we end up having a corrupt SSD or a fatal virus. I am sure there must be other methods/options out there using which we can take : say a back up once in every 3 months or simply keep up our important documents online (COPY OF pictures in external HDD).

===>>>>

What i am willing to spend 300$ on is SOMETHING as NOT heavy and as NOT clumsy as an Airport Extreme (Yes it's area of coverage has been reduced to more than 70%) as it shape has been changed to be more taller and slimmer....but ideally i am waiting for apple to release an 802.11ac "amplifier" WITHOUT the TB storage (bulky/heavy HDD) in there and i would rather use my own external HDD to have imp files copied in them.

thoughts anyone ? I am sure X-windows users will feel the same....!

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
I purchased the new Airport TC Extreme and am returning it tomorrow. I realized I need my router to be separate from any backup and I need to be able to access files on a backup device. The throughput was good but I have older devices on my network that require the 'g' and 'n' modes so that sucks. Also I like to tweak the heck out of my router and my existing Dlink allows me to do just that. I was frustrated with the Airport part of the equation.

Great engineering and unique device, just not the right thing for me.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I just recalled why i chose 512 SSD over a 270$ 2TB Airport Extreme:

1: 512 SSD = ofcourse internally in air - so ultra-portability wit no worries to upgrade storage

2: Airport Extreme = is only a BACKUP and CANNOT be used as a regular external HDD...i know you can plug in any additional external HDD to it via USB 2.0 but that DEFEATS the purpose of existing 2TB to be only used for backups..for us as Mac users, is time-machine the only method on the planet to back-up data if in the worst case, one day we end up having a corrupt SSD or a fatal virus. I am sure there must be other methods/options out there using which we can take : say a back up once in every 3 months or simply keep up our important documents online (COPY OF pictures in external HDD).

There are numerous other backup solutions for Mac users. Dropbox is great for small stuff but Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper work well and can perform backups of some or all of your files and programs. You can also adjust how often they back up everything.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009

Jordan.

Agree fully with what you said, the signal is incredibly strong with that combo. I had a 3rd Gen TC and a 5th gen Airport Extreme before.

My signal strength inside the house is incredible, I have 450mbps N speeds throughout my whole house dang near. And 867 on out new MBA with AC, in our living room.

I know there are other (better/ more cost efficient) solutions for back-up, but I love the simplicity of the TC, considering until I bought my 1st TC , I NEVER backed up. Im sure there are better solutions for backing up, but it doesn't get any easier than the TC thats for sure.

Porkaysi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
My new air/airport time capsule give me the same speed as directly plugging a computer to modem also.... It's definetly fast. I'm seeing my ping cut in half and 3 mb more on speed test compared to my old router

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.