Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:40 AM   #51
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Doesn't the article mention "Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when ..."?
Yes, but often devices marketed to be controlled by smartphones can also be controlled from a computer fairly easily. See the Philips Hue for example - it shipped only with iPhone app support, but people quickly figured out how to access its internal commands via computer. The Belkin Wemo is another example.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:41 AM   #52
4two4
macrumors newbie

Cool

What has security got to do with "Temperature, air quality and humidity sensors"? Looks like a concept trying to find a USP. I don't get all the excitement over a product that looks like a re packaged FOSCAM and costs considerably more. The competition has well established security cameras that are universally mountable, i.e. ceilings, outdoors etc and streams to 3G networks and beyond. Unless this device offers something unique (not just fancy packaging) motion tracking perimeter network monitoring or something radically new, I can't see a future for this gizmo.
4two4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:45 AM   #53
Oilbrnr
macrumors 6502

Meh, Dropcam is already out and proven. I've got several, and so far they've worked great. Two way audio as well. If I need to know the temps in my two homes, I'll check with my Nests.

I will say that being able to monitor your homes yourself is somewhat comforting, though I have ADT in both as well. I prefer to have the professionals show up should fire/intrusion happen.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #54
sjwr
macrumors member

nice little device, unfortunately don't want to see it

I'll wait until they disguise as a table lamp.
sjwr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #55
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
man my sarcasm sensor is off lately. sorry mate
haha no worries
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #56
MikeIsAUser
macrumors newbie

Misleading

I think the video is very misleading. It shows the device standing wireless on the counter. The idea is for you to be able to see what is going on while away implies it will be running for hours without direct power. Wireless devices use a lot of power - I can't see this small unit running very long without needing to be recharged. It might be good for 8 hrs, but if you are away for more than a day, I don't think it will work - unless they are feeding the power cable through a hole under the table.
MikeIsAUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:18 AM   #57
bellearwood
macrumors newbie

This is super cool!! Can't wait for the reviews. I have the alarmcare system installed at home. Its working pretty well but wanna try this one too!
bellearwood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:21 PM   #58
TheDrunkLamb
macrumors newbie

One small issue...

Wouldn't a burglar just walk in and pull the plug on the router? Or am I assuming they are that intelligent?
TheDrunkLamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:43 PM   #59
jenniehaze
macrumors newbie

Nice security device for the iphone users. Hoping similar device would be available soon for the android users. We android users have to use traditional home and hotel safes and alarms.
jenniehaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion