Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Stinger123
macrumors member

New mini came with sticker on back?

Hello all.

I just got my iPad Mini, and I love it! Own retina products, but this is amazing. GET IT - trust me.

One weird thing though. The iPad was brand spanking new, box factory sealed, iPad wraped and untouched etc.
But on the back of the iPad (under the plastic wrapper) just above the apple logo was a blue'ish sticker about 2" x ,5" saying
" M 6 B N" (might have had a character more)

After peeling it off it left some sticky residue that had to be cleaned with alkohol.

I've never seen this before on Apple products. Im thinking this might be the first or last unit from a certain batch, or a quality control sample or something.

The iPad is flawless. Was charged to 90% and keeps battery forever!

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Stinger123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 AM   #2
alphaod
macrumors Core

Sounds like you got a demo or sample.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:07 AM   #3
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Or possibly one that was sporadically pulled out of the factory line and tested / passed / approved and then repackaged.
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:11 AM   #4
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

Odd. If it works, keep it!
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

talk to the genius, maybe they know.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger123 View Post
Hello all.

I just got my iPad Mini, and I love it! Own retina products, but this is amazing. GET IT - trust me.

One weird thing though. The iPad was brand spanking new, box factory sealed, iPad wraped and untouched etc.
But on the back of the iPad (under the plastic wrapper) just above the apple logo was a blue'ish sticker about 2" x ,5" saying
" M 6 B N" (might have had a character more)

After peeling it off it left some sticky residue that had to be cleaned with alkohol.

I've never seen this before on Apple products. Im thinking this might be the first or last unit from a certain batch, or a quality control sample or something.

The iPad is flawless. Was charged to 90% and keeps battery forever!

What do you guys think?

Thanks
At a guess, I'd say it was an end of production run QC sticker...As you say the device is perfect, so you don't need to worry about it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Stinger123
macrumors member

Well, Im not really thinking about returning it. It works great and was as mentioned brand new and everything was factory sealed. So the sticker must have come on in China.

Just curious. Bought it from a large department store and got the very last black 16gb from the warehouse.

Im very pleased it's just a fun fact. Still thinking this might have been a quality controll sample. Perhaps they pull every 100 or 1000 iPad from the line and check the quality before a new batch ship out.

Just called Apple and they looked it up and confirmed that it was only was registred to my name. Their guess was that it was a QC model. So I guess my model has been under the loupe and is flawless.

Last edited by Stinger123; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Stinger123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger123 View Post
Well, I not really thinking about returning it. It works great and was as mentioned brand new and everything was factory sealed. So the sticker must have come on in China.

Just curious. Bought it from a large department store and got the very last black 16gb from the warehouse.

Im very pleased it's just a fun fact. Still thinking this might have been a quality controll sample. Perhaps they pull every 100 or 1000 iPad from the line and check the quality before a new batch shipa out.
They do exactly that...They have a section at the end of each line where units that have been subjected to thorough QC checks wind up...Probably ensured you got a top notch device.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:54 AM   #9
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

I would have thought that removing the sticker would have been part of the quality check. Guess you have an iPad that passed QC but would have failed the QC of the QC. Good to hear your iPad is otherwise perfect.
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #10
layziegtp
macrumors regular

In most factories, every item shipped should have to pass a FINAL inspection prior to being boxed up. It's surprising, but I've worked in final QC before, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to miss something when you stare at the same object for 10-12 hours a day.
layziegtp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

The sticker means you won the last golden invitation to Apple Headquarters in Palo Alto! You must email Tim Cook with the sticker code asap! You get to sit on his lap...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM   #12
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
The sticker means you won the last golden invitation to Apple Headquarters in Palo Alto! You must email Tim Cook with the sticker code asap! You get to sit on his lap...
Willy Wonka, eat your heart out!!
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:46 AM   #13
Aboo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That would be a true golden ticket seeing as how Apple's Headquarters is in Cupertino!
Aboo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 AM   #14
Che Castro
macrumors 601

That sticker is from a Chinese factory worker trying to make contact with you , he wants to come to America
Che Castro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:33 AM   #15
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
that would be sooo cool. they should actually do that. would really boost sales even more hahah
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:52 AM   #16
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
That would be a true golden ticket seeing as how Apple's Headquarters is in Cupertino!
Good point! How could I forget this?!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Appl3FTW
macrumors 65816

in honesty... i would be ecstatic if i had that sticker. i mean who has that QC (if it is quality control sticker) on their ipads? only a few people will so consider urself lucky.
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad