Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
This has made the iPhone look nicer and easier to use as you can easily press the buttons and even use one as a shutter button. So my question is, why is - from my experiences - the iPhone the only phone to do this? Even the 'all mighty' galaxy SIII has a volume rocker, after the iPhone it just feels old fashioned. What's the deal?

Thanks guys

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
This has made the iPhone look nicer and easier to use as you can easily press the buttons and even use one as a shutter button. So my question is, why is - from my experiences - the iPhone the only phone to do this? Even the 'all mighty' galaxy SIII has a volume rocker, after the iPhone it just feels old fashioned. What's the deal?

Thanks guys

well it's not all that good, they can get stuck, have this "2- stage click" where if you merely touch the button and don't push it in you can hear/feel it getting pushed in. On the iPhone 5 this is where the phone will suffer bends because of how little metal is there.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I'm guessing it was just a design choice. Anyways I prefer it, just feels more solid to me. To each their own I guess

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I'm guessing it was just a design choice. Anyways I prefer it, just feels more solid to me. To each their own I guess

Iv just felt all volume rockers to be cheap and tacky (probably because they are mostly all plastic)

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
You said "even the all mighty GSIII has a volume rocker" as if that's the standard that makes phones great or not.

Personally, I would prefer the volume rocker from the 3GS and earlier; it was a lot easier to change the volume when the phone was in my pocket. And I almost never use the volume rocker to take pics.
Lastly, I don't care about any "aesthetic" advantages separate buttons have in comparison to a rocker because I don't spend any time looking at the side of my phone.

I get the feeling that if apple stuck to the volume rocker, and other manufacturers separated their buttons, you'd be in here creating a thread asking why the other OEMS aren't doing what apple is doing.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
The rocker to me was old design tech. Separating the buttons properly and making them look nice (iPhone 4+) is merely aesthetic but highly appreciated.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
One of the benefits of a rocker design is that you can use it without looking at the device.

When you've got buttons that feel identical, you can't tell them apart without finding some other reference point (like the Silent switch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.