Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I am looking to replace one of my CD/DVD drives in my 2009 4.1 Mac Pro for a drive that will will read write CD/DVD and Blu-Ray.

Any recommendations would be good.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Oh, and also a reliable seller within the UK/EU would be good.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If it has SATA, is tray loading, and has a removable tray faceplate, will work in the Mac Pro.

Just get whatever is the newest and fastest.

Don't bother with Bluray XL unless you plan on $100 for 100GB discs (seriously you're better off buying an SSD every time).

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Was there something wrong with the recommendations from when you asked two weeks ago?

Any common BD drive with SATA connection and tray loading (not slot loading) should work. To second the recommendation in your other thread, I also got the LG. Simply pop off the bezel and it's good to go.

That other thread was asking best way to go internal/external and which software I would require, this thread is asking for drive model recommendations, people just keep saying get the LG etc etc. So I thought I would ask if anybody could recommend actual drive models and where to buy other than the US.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That other thread was asking best way to go internal/external and which software I would require, this thread is asking for drive model recommendations, people just keep saying get the LG etc etc. So I thought I would ask if anybody could recommend actual drive models and where to buy other than the US.

Here's mine:

LG BH10LS38

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.