Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dizzy11523

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
34 here and got it. Too much beer. I haven't had a real flare up since April. I dirnk lots of water and take Magnesium, Cherry pills and avoid meat daily.

Funny I found this topic here.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The most common treatments for an acute attack of gout are high doses of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) taken orally (by mouth) or corticosteroids, which are taken orally or injected into the affected joint. NSAIDs reduce the inflammation caused by deposits of uric acid crystals but have no effect on the amount of uric acid in the body. The NSAIDs most commonly prescribed for gout are indomethacin (Indocin*) and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn), which are taken orally every day. Corticosteroids are strong anti-inflammatory hormones. The most commonly prescribed corticosteroid is prednisone. Patients often begin to improve within a few hours of treatment with a corticosteroid, and the attack usually goes away completely within a week or so.

When NSAIDs or corticosteroids do not control symptoms, the doctor may consider using colchicine. This drug is most effective when taken within the first 12 hours of an acute attack. Doctors may ask patients to take oral colchicine as often as every hour until joint symptoms begin to improve or side effects such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, or diarrhea make it uncomfortable to continue the drug.

For some patients, the doctor may prescribe either NSAIDs or oral colchicine in small daily doses to prevent future attacks.

Sometimes I just hate myself:mad:

There are also insane dietary restriction one is supposed to follow. Basically you are allowed to drink water and breath. A good friend has severe gout, and his allowed food list is pitifully short.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
I haven't had an attack for several years. I took allopurinol for a time and eventually stopped. For me if I drink a decent amount of water and eat some dried cherries every few days I'm fine. I also found that with a good exercise regimen, I drank more water and could pretty much eat what I wanted. Full disclosure: Doctor advised against the exercise and protein supplements, but it seems to have worked well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.