Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
For my dad's birthday in October I was looking to get him an iPad. He currently has an HP TouchPad that was on fire sale but he never uses it. He's really not too good with technology so I feel that an iPad would be much easier for him to use. I'm a sophomore in college so cash is really a factor and I was thinking about getting him an iPad 2 due to price. Do you guys think it's worth it or is the iPad 2 not going to be able to keep up with upcoming apps and programs (iOS 7). What do you guys think in terms of usability for the next 1-2 years?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'd personally wait for the announcement of the iPad 5. The iPad 2 may not get a whole lot more support in the future. Once your dad sees a retina screen it will be a slam dunk. :cool:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Im not sure how much easier or harder the iPad is to use than the HP tablet was, but a big question to ask is if he really has use for a tablet. What sort of things does he enjoy doing that an iPad could make easier or more fun?

My experience with my relatives my age (I'm 55) or older is they're not big on apps at all - they're barely aware they exist. It's web and email 90%. Some use it as an ereader as well.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
They might drop the Ipad 2 and only sell the 4 at a reduced price.

You may wanna wait till the 5 comes to see if they do something like that.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I will wait then his birthday is in October so they should be announced by then.

----------

Im not sure how much easier or harder the iPad is to use than the HP tablet was, but a big question to ask is if he really has use for a tablet. What sort of things does he enjoy doing that an iPad could make easier or more fun?

My experience with my relatives my age (I'm 55) or older is they're not big on apps at all - they're barely aware they exist. It's web and email 90%. Some use it as an ereader as well.

I would say interface and such wifi and all settings is in one place. And apps only come from appstore and they appear on home screen. There's also no widgets and such so it's much more simplistic and easy to explain.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
The point about whether your dad will use it or not is the real question - you don't want to give him an expensive paperweight. But would he appreciate seeing family photos and such on it? You could load it up with that kind of thing. You could teach him to use Facetime (available on ipad 3 and up) and connect with him that way, eventually. Remember that he will have to move into the future at some point, because he's got a lot of time left :eek: and these devices will become ubiquitous very soon. And there's an app for everything, so you might help him find some that will make his life more interesting or easier - news sites, timewasters, magazines (Sports Illustrated?).

It's not totally a function of age (I'm in his ballpark, and I've been a device geek since my first Timex Sinclair 1000). It's making him feel the learning curve is worth it. If you can get him past the put-it-aside stage, you might be doing him a big service.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
iPad 2, normal computer screen (DPI-wise) my experience, giving one to my mom (who had computer before) and my 86-year granddad is that they do not complain about "itchy-eyes" the Retina displays are so much nicer to look at than a normal screen.

I would recommend you to get him either iPad 3 or 4, the screen alone does it.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
The point about whether your dad will use it or not is the real question - you don't want to give him an expensive paperweight. But would he appreciate seeing family photos and such on it? You could load it up with that kind of thing. You could teach him to use Facetime (available on ipad 3 and up) and connect with him that way, eventually. Remember that he will have to move into the future at some point, because he's got a lot of time left :eek: and these devices will become ubiquitous very soon. And there's an app for everything, so you might help him find some that will make his life more interesting or easier - news sites, timewasters, magazines (Sports Illustrated?).

It's not totally a function of age (I'm in his ballpark, and I've been a device geek since my first Timex Sinclair 1000). It's making him feel the learning curve is worth it. If you can get him past the put-it-aside stage, you might be doing him a big service.

Facetime is also on the 2...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Do you guys think it's worth it or is the iPad 2 not going to be able to keep up with upcoming apps and programs (iOS 7). What do you guys think in terms of usability for the next 1-2 years?

1-2 years is not likely. You would be lucky with 1 year at this point.

I would say save up a bit more money and hold off on buying until the last minute. You will hopefully end up with something like the ipad 3 as the 'cheap' choice, reduced price on the ipad 4 cause a 5 is coming out or similar. and get the Apple Care Plus. so worth knowing that if he drops the dang thing it won't be a small fortune to replace it. Plus make sure he's on iCloud for backing up.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Eventually they will stop selling the iPad 2

Because the technology will become outdated.

Do we know how well the iPad 2 runs iOS 7 ?

Maybe apple will decide its time to give the non retina hardware a boost.

What if they made for example 2 versions of the iPad 5 - One with Retina and one with non retina displays.

Basically this is what they are selling now.

They are offering a non retina iPad 2 stopped selling the 3 but offer a retina version of the iPad as the 4.

So what they may do is offer a Non retina 9.7 inch iPad 5 along with a Retina version 9.7 iPad 5 at the same time.

This way the non retina and the retina version of the iPad get a refresh.

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
If the price is right sure why not. My dad had a 32 gb iPad 2 and loves it. He could care less or barely notice retina non retina this processor or that. Fact is ipad 2 is still a great product. If you can get a 3 for just as cheap or cheaper get the newer one just because.

mbp17xxx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Sydney
i just bought my mom an ipad 2, she's not a power user, will just use email, browse, youtube, notes, calendar. she wouldn't know the difference but my pocket will :)

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Facetime is also on the 2...

Of course - thanks for the correction. OP, you might think about what people are saying about the retina screen, which is easier to read, and wait for the discounts on current models that will come once the 5 is introduced. ... you'll get more for your money then.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Of course - thanks for the correction. OP, you might think about what people are saying about the retina screen, which is easier to read, and wait for the discounts on current models that will come once the 5 is introduced. ... you'll get more for your money then.

These are people that can't tell the difference between SD and HD television! I think the subtleties of a "retina" screen would be lost on them!

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.